Chemonics seeks a finance and operations director for the anticipated USAID Liberia Strategic Technical Assistance for Improved Health System Performance and Health Outcomes (STAIP) project. The purpose of this project is to support the strengthening of the Ministry of Health’s systems to improve patient outcomes at primary health care facilities by providing sustainable capacity building and incentivizing better health systems performance through performance-based financing. Select technical assistance will be provided at the central level to ensure alignment and implementation of national priorities and processes. Additionally, an important component of this activity will be to support meaningful reforms in health financing including delivery of selected priorities in alignment with the Ministry of Health’s Liberia Health Equity Fund to ensure quality and equitable access to health services without undue financial burden to patients.
The finance and operations director reports directly to the chief of party and will take a leadership role in developing and implementing key management systems that will support project planning, reporting, performance management, financial management, property and technical procurement, grants management, and personnel management. He or she will be expected to develop and manage the project financial plan to include monitoring and reporting systems that meet U.S. government requirements and manage grant and contracting activities. He or she should also be involved and lead the value for money analysis that will be required under this award to monitor financial expenditure and activity results. He or she will supervise day-to-day financial and administrative operations of the project, including logistics, procurement, budgeting, financial management, human resources, and compliance. He or she will be knowledgeable about current health systems strengthening models and service delivery approaches. We are looking for individuals who have a passion for making a difference in the lives of people around the world.
- Support the chief of party to develop and implement key management systems that will support project planning, reporting, and performance management
- Ensure compliance with U.S. government regulations, Chemonics’ corporate policies, and Liberian law
- Establish standards and procedures to ensure that the compliance programs throughout the project are effective and efficient
- Update project procedure and policy manuals as necessary
- Plan and track financial and administrative activities with home office and field office staff to evaluate needs for implementation; keep the home office up to date on the financial status of the project and the execution of the budget
- Provide financial oversight and management; supervise accounting personnel and accounting procedures according to Chemonics’ accounting policies and in preparing all contractually required financial statements or other budget figures by Chemonics or USAID
- Supervise project human resources management, including the recruitment, hiring, training, and termination as necessary of personnel
- Supervise annual performance evaluation process for all project employees
- Supervise and provide regular and constructive feedback to project staff
- A bachelor’s degree required; advanced degree in public health, medicine, or international development desired
- Minimum seven years of experience managing USAID contracts, including strong skills in procurement/subcontracting, compliance, financial management, human resources, and client management
- Progressive responsibility and experience in financial management, including direct international work experience in developing countries with senior-level responsibility for administration and finance, with demonstrated ability to manage and implement complex USAID-funded public health programs or projects in a developing country context
- Proven expertise in finance, compliance, accounting, and auditing, including financial planning, monitoring of subcontract compliance and management and the establishment of internal controls; demonstrated strong management, coordination, teamwork, and planning skills
- Demonstrated experience as a project lead in prioritizing multiple work assignments in an extremely fast-paced environment, meeting deadlines, and exercising good professional judgment that reflects positively on the project’s image and communicates the project’s established program message
- Knowledge of Liberian operating environment preferred, including registration, taxes, and labor law
- Skilled in leading and managing high-performing teams composed of local and international staff
- Experience recruiting, forming, and successfully managing teams and ensuring the quality of their products
- Ability to work with cooperating partners in implementing complex programs
- Strong verbal and written English skills required
- Demonstrated leadership, versatility, and integrity
Please apply through https://ghdrecruit.formstack.com/forms/liberia_health_systems_strengthening. Candidates will be reviewed on a rolling basis until the positions are filled. No telephone inquiries, please. Finalists will be contacted.
The protection of your personal data is important to Chemonics. If you are located in the EU, please read our EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice to learn how we process your personal data. For more information, please read the EU Recruiting Data Privacy Notice here: https://chemonics.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/12/EU-Recruiting-Data-Privacy-Notice-12.2018.pdf
About the Organization
Owned entirely by employees, Chemonics is an ISO-9001 certified international development company. For more than 40 years, we have partnered with local and international organizations to promote social and economic change around the world.