Under the direct supervision of the functional supervisor who reports to the Head of Support Services, the Finance Associate will provide financial and administrative support to the timely processing, recording, monitoring, and maintaining if financial transactions and accounts relating to payments and receipts in accordance with UNOPS’ financial rules, regulations, policies, and processes.
The Finance Associate will undertake the following activities/responsibilities:
Administration of budgets and cost-recovery system:
- Ensures administration of budgets and functioning of the optimal cost-recovery system focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Participate in information-gathering for budget preparation
- Extraction of required financial information from UNOPS project agreements and set up of necessary accounts in line with existing UNOPS financial policies and procedures
- Set up of approved budgets in ERP system
- Monitoring, review and adjustment of Projects’ expenditures/obligations against approved budgets
- Preparation of Projects’ cost sharing portions within the office’s resource mobilization efforts
- Provision of inputs for delivery forecasting, implementation of cost-saving and reduction strategies in consultation with the office management
- Preparation and processing of budget revisions
- Support Project closure process
Payments and Accounting:
- Accounting, Payments functions focusing on achievement of the following results:
- Proper control of the supporting documents for payments and financial reports for projects; preparation of all types of vouchers; Pay Cycle and payments execution.
- Maintenance of the internal expenditures control system which ensures that vouchers processed are matched and completed, timely corrective actions on unposted voucher taken, including those with budget check errors, match exceptions and unapproved vouchers; transactions are correctly recorded and posted;.
- Timely accounts closure
- Timely response to HQ requests to resolve financial data issues.
- Maintenance of the Accounts Receivables for projects and follow-up with partners on contributions, deposits creation in ERP system and their application to pending items.
- Monitor and ensure validity of charges by verifying authorized amounts and ensuring availability of budget and funds
- Review of payment requests for completeness prior to processing, ensuring that documentation needed is complete and that all required procedures are fulfilled to enable the payment.
- Communication with colleagues/clients on areas requiring verification, corrections, additional informAtion
- Entry of transactions and financial data in ERP system.
- Remittance processing
- Preparation of bank reconciliation report. Review for discrepancies and action as required.
- Replenishment of bank accounts
- Timely preparation of monthly cash flow forecast
- Opening/closing/replenishment of petty cash accounts
- Maintain financial filing system ensuring clear and auditable trail on all financial transactions
- Assume Finance profile tasks in ERP
- Prepare financial and statistical reports for internal use as required by management
- Prepare financial reports to funding sources and external clients in compliance with established reporting requirements
- Preparation of monthly expenditure schedules
- Support quarterly and year-end statements
- Knowledge building and knowledge sharing
- Organize, facilitate and/or deliver training and learning initiatives for personnel on finance-related topics.
- Provide sound contributions to knowledge networks and communities of practice by synthesizing lessons learnt and dissemination of best practices in human resources.
- Contribute feedback, ideas, and internal knowledge about processes and best practices and utilize productively.
- As Key Business User provide financial management support in the financial management module of ERP system to internal clients.
Required Selection Criteria
- Secondary education is required.
- A university degree (preferably in finance, accounting, business administration or related area) is an asset.
- Relevant certification in financial management or accounting a distinct advantage
- Minimum of six years of relevant working experience within the areas of financial management and/or accounting is required. BA degree may substitute for some years of experience
- Knowledge of ERP software system; knowledge of G-Suite and MS Office and financial management using electronic systems is an asset
- Experience with international organisations is an asset
- Fluency in Serbian and English is required
- Strategic Perspective - Develops and implements sustainable business strategies, thinks long term and externally in order to positively shape the organization. Anticipates and perceives the impact and implications of future decisions and activities on other parts of the organization. (for levels IICA-2, IICA-3, LICA Specialist- 10, LICA Specialist-11, NOC, NOD, P3, P4 and above)
- Integrity & Inclusion - Treats all individuals with respect; responds sensitively to differences and encourages others to do the same. Upholds organizational and ethical norms. Maintains high standards of trustworthiness. Role model for diversity and inclusion.
- Leading Self and Others - Acts as a positive role model contributing to the team spirit. Collaborates and supports the development of others. For people managers only: Acts as positive leadership role model, motivates, directs and inspires others to succeed, utilizing appropriate leadership styles.
- Partnering - Demonstrates understanding of the impact of own role on all partners and always puts the end beneficiary first. Builds and maintains strong external relationships and is a competent partner for others (if relevant to the role).
- Results Orientation - Efficiently establishes an appropriate course of action for self and/or others to accomplish a goal. Actions lead to total task accomplishment through concern for quality in all areas. Sees opportunities and takes the initiative to act on them. Understands that responsible use of resources maximizes our impact on our beneficiaries.
- Agility - Open to change and flexible in a fast paced environment. Effectively adapts own approach to suit changing circumstances or requirements. Reflects on experiences and modifies own behaviour. Performance is consistent, even under pressure. Always pursues continuous improvements.
- Solution Focused - Evaluates data and courses of action to reach logical, pragmatic decisions. Takes an unbiased, rational approach with calculated risks. Applies innovation and creativity to problem-solving.
- Effective Communication - Expresses ideas or facts in a clear, concise and open manner. Communication indicates a consideration for the feelings and needs of others. Actively listens and proactively shares knowledge. Handles conflict effectively, by overcoming differences of opinion and finding common ground.
- ALL CANDIDATES ARE REQUESTED TO SUBMIT A CV AND COVER LETTER ALONG WITH THEIR APPLICATION
- Contract type, level and duration
- This is a local position, it is therefore open to nationals of the Republic of Serbia and to individuals who have a valid residence/work permit.
- Contract type: Ongoing ICA
Contract level: Local ICA 6
Contract duration: Open-ended subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and/or to satisfactory performance
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Additional Considerations
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- UNOPS seeks to reasonably accommodate candidates with special needs, upon request.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
- It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
- Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
- For more information on UNOPS, please visit the UNOPS website at www.unops.org
About the Organization
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) has been active in Serbia since 2000, and the operations of UNOPS Serbia Project Office (RSPO) have since 2017 expanded to North Macedonia and Montenegro.
UNOPS has been a reliable partner primarily of the Government of Serbia, and later of the Governments of North Macedonia and Montenegro, in providing support for demanding socio-economic reforms and facilitating accession to the European Union.
Currently, the RSPO is implementing 12 projects focussed on sustainable socio-economic development, social cohesion, creating environment for employability, business and infrastructure growth, increased security, improved education, enhanced social inclusion either via enabling durable housing solutions or providing access to health, education and jobs for the most vulnerable population. All projects have good governance and gender equality as transversal themes. UNOPS projects are contextualised within the broader Sustainable Development Goals framework and objectives.