Requisition ID: req1559
Job Title: Finance Contoller - copy
Employment Category: Fixed Term
Employment Type: Full-Time
BACKGROUND: The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933 at the request of Albert Einstein, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster. At work today in over 40 countries and 22 U.S. cities, we restore safety, dignity and hope to millions who are uprooted and struggling to endure. The IRC leads the way from harm to home.
The humanitarian situation in Libya has deteriorated since the 2014 civil war. 1.3 million People require urgent health assistance, including an estimated 700,000 IDPs and 1 million refugees and migrants. In response, the IRC launched an emergency program in September 2016 in Libya which aimed to provide life-saving medical care, medicines, and medical supplies to Libyans and non-Libyans and in doing so strengthen the capacity of the Ministry of Health. The IRC Libya program is in the process of expanding the scope and scale of both protection and health programming in Misrata, Sirte and Tripoli, developing an outcome focused strategy that aims to restore and strengthen the primary health care system, focusing on ensuring survival, equitably, and at scale to reach the largest number of clients.
SCOPE OF WORK:
The Financial Controller has overall policy and management responsibility for the finance and accounting functions for the Libya program. The Finance Controller’s responsibilities include general controllership, staff training, management, and treasury and budget functions.
The Finance Controller will report to the Country director. The Finance Controller will be based in Tripoli -Libya, but will frequent travel the Misrata IRC field office as well as to Tunisia.
Specific Responsibility Controllership
* Ensures that all policies and procedures are in compliance with IRC and funding source policies;
* Establishes finance and supporting function policies, systems and procedures, as required;
* Meets all financial reporting requirements and deadlines specified by HQ and donors;
* Ensures balance sheet reconciliations are reviewed and completed on a timely basis;
* Closely monitors all financial activities, and keeps the Country Director advised of all situations which have the potential for a negative impact on internal controls or financial performance;
* Directs the preparation of, and approves all donor financial reports in respect to accounting, legal and contractual requirements. Facilitates and co-ordinates external, internal, donor or government audits. Develops schedules and performs or supervises the completion of country internal control audits, and initiates actions necessary to correct internal control weaknesses;
* Oversees the protection of the country’s assets (cash, inventory, NEP) through the enforcement of internal control policies and procedures;
* Maintains current knowledge of local government requirements related to financial matters and ensures compliance with tax regulations and other legal requirements.
Specific Responsibility Staff Training, Capacity Building & Management
* Develops and implements a training program for the country’s national finance staff to ensure staff development and Finance Controller’s nationalization, and minimize IRC’s exposure when staff are absent or depart;
* Ensures comprehensive and constructive performance reviews are completed on a timely basis, and facilitates discussion of performance and career options with all country finance staff
Specific responsibility Treasury
* Supervises all country office bank relations and bank account activities including negotiation of fees, interest and currency exchange rates. In compliance with IRC policy establishes country policies regarding cash holding limits, cash movements and foreign currency holdings. Oversees the timely preparation, review and approval of all monthly bank account and cash reconciliation’s;
* Designs, implements, and monitors systems, procedures and reporting necessary to maintain on current basis accurate forecasts of cash requirements for meeting future spending, including commitments entered into and which obligate IRC to future spending;
* Supervises the preparation of Cash Transfer Requests to New York and ensures that appropriate balances are maintained to facilitate grant implementation. Ensures the development and implementation of a plan to minimize the country’s foreign exchange exposure to currency gains and losses
Specific Responsibility Budget
* Assists with the preparation and revision of program and grant proposals and budgets including operating budget with budget guidelines to assist program managers in formulating budgets; In compliance with donor requirements and IRC policy develops the “Field Operations/Overhead” budget and recommends a methodology for allocation of overhead to grant budgets.
* Prepares the annual and monthly cash budgets based on approved funding;
* Presents and facilitates the review of actual to budget expenditures with the Country Director and program managers.
Specific Responsibilities Sub-grantees/Partners
* Work with operation, grant and program on sub grantee/partner pre award assessment. Develop training plan for sub grantees/partner on grant financial management and donor specific requirements;
* Review sub grantees/partners book of accounts and financial documents as per the grant agreement. And ensure transfer of fund, reporting requirement, and liquidations are as per sub grant agreement.
* Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Business Administration, Commerce or Finance with a recognized institution or a Master’s degree in Accounting;
* Minimum Five years of non-profit managerial financial experience;
* Requires extensive experience in working with computerized accounting systems preferably in SUN, standard spreadsheet and database programs;
* Ability to carry out responsibilities independently with minimal technical support from within the program organization. Must be a patient and good communicator who can function in an organizational environment involving a diversity of cultures, languages, and personal interests and agendas. Good at role of facilitator and team player in solving problems. Committed to staff training and development.
* Fluency in Arabic would be a strong advantage
The IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way-Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, and Accountability. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
KEY WORKING RELATIONSHIPS:
Position reports to: Country Director
Position directly supervises: Finance Manager, Finance Officer
Internal: SC Department, as well other Finance, Program and support unit staff
External: Regional Finance Controller, IRC’s Program Field Coordinators and Program & Finance staff in other IRC offices managed through IRC Libya office.