Save the Children seeks a Finance Director for the USDA McGovern-Dole International Food for Education and Child Nutrition Program. The LEARN program will be implemented in four countries in Liberia:, Grand Bassa, Grand Gedeh, River Cess, and River Gee, and will reach 202 schools and 112,498 direct beneficiaries throughout the course of the project. Save the Children will carry out the LEARN program over a period of five years. LEARN’s project design addresses both of USDA’s strategic objectives: Improving literacy of school-age children (SO1) and Increased use of health and dietary practices (SO2). Activities of the project focus on improving the quality of literacy instruction, student attentiveness, student attendance, improving knowledge of health and hygiene practices, safe food preparation and storage, and nutrition, and by increasing access to clean water and sanitation, preventative health interventions, and food prep materials and storage equipment.
As a member of the Senior Management Team (SMT) in Liberia, the Director of Finance shares in the overall responsibility for the direction and co-ordination of the LEARN Program. The Director of Finance in his/her capacity is responsible for finance administration, fiscal management, and financial reporting. In the role, the FD will also provide financial oversight on the other on-going programs in country and supporting to build the capacities of the team under his/her responsibility
Qualifications and experience
- CPA or equivalent degree (CA, ACMA, ACCA) strongly recommended
- Recommended a minimum of 7 years management experience in a corporate or an NGO environment, of which three at a management level within the finance department of a national or international organization
- Recent experience of working in an emergency context
- Excellent understanding of business and financial planning including strategic modelling
- Excellent analytical skills - the ability to analyse complex financial data and design and produce effective management information
- Excellent experience of budgeting and budget management
- Excellent understanding of financial systems and procedures
- Strong business acumen and the ability to contribute to strategic decisions
- Excellent experience of computerised accounts packages, Excel, PowerPoint and Word
- Experience of general administration work
- Strong communication and interpersonal skills
- Ability to manage a complex and diverse workload and to work to tight deadlines
- Ability to build a small, proactive team, motivating staff and working collaboratively with colleagues and providing support and advice as necessary
- Willingness and ability to dramatically change work practices and hours, and work with incoming surge teams, in the event of emergencies
- A full appreciation of the value of co-operation, both internationally and within a team environment
- Understanding of Save the Children’s vision and mission and a commitment to its objectives and values
- Written and verbal fluency in English
Contract length: 02 Years
About the Organization
We employ approximately 25,000 people across the globe and work on the ground in over 100 countries to help children affected by crises, or those that need better healthcare, education and child protection. We also campaign and advocate at the highest levels to realise the right of children and to ensure their voices are heard.
We are working towards three breakthroughs in how the world treats children by 2030:
- No child dies from preventable causes before their 5th birthday
- All children learn from a quality basic education and that,
- Violence against children is no longer tolerated
We know that great people make a great organization, and that our employees play a crucial role in helping us achieve our ambitions for children. We value our people and offer a meaningful and rewarding career, along with a collaborative and inclusive workplace where ambition, creativity, and integrity are highly valued.
Please apply using a cover letter and up-to-date CV as a single document. Please also include details of your current remuneration and salary expectations. A copy of the full role profile can be found at www.savethechildren.net/jobs
We need to keep children safe so our selection process reflects our commitment to the protection of children from abuse.
Applicants are advised that Save the Children International does not require any payment or expense during the entire recruitment process. Any request in this direction should be immediately reported as contrary to the values and practices of our organization.