Greenpeace East Asia is looking for a Finance Director to help consolidate and build a growing organization in mainland China, Hong Kong, Taiwan and South Korea. The main responsibilities include:
- Manage a team of 12 financial staff located in four offices (Beijing, Hong Kong, Taipei and Seoul) to support an organization with more than 200 in-house staff.
- Develop and implement a robust finance system to meet internal and external needs.
- Create forward looking organizational budget and financial strategy.
- Be part of the Senior Management Team to lead Greenpeace’s development in this vital region for our global mission.
Please reach out to email@example.com for more details and to apply.
Apart from the requirements listed in the job description, we are looking for candidates who have the following profile:
- Sense of purpose, organisational mission and big-picture perspective.
- Used to work in highly diverse and multi-cultural environments.
- Communication skills to effectively explain complex technical issues to non-specialists.
- Identify with the mission of Greenpeace.
Purpose and Scope of the Job
The Finance Director is responsible for providing financial executive leadership, vision and oversight for Greenpeace East Asia (China mainland, Hong Kong, Taiwan and South Korea). The position oversees financial management and all accounting functions, budgeting, financial systems and reporting, regulatory compliance, cash flow management, financial controls and policies of Greenpeace East Asia. The Finance Director heads the Finance Department with staff located in four offices, and leads the development and execution of the organization’s financial policies and strategies. Additionally, the Finance Director is a member of the Senior Management Team which is responsible for providing executive leadership and direction for the organization.
- Coordinate the creation, development and monitoring of the organization’s budget and projection processes in alignment with its strategy and plan.
- Analyze and interpret financial results and trends. Direct the development of financial management reports, and present findings and recommendations to the Board, Executive Director, Senior Management Team and other internal and external audiences as appropriate.
- Advise, inform, and hold accountable senior management on matters affecting financial planning, results and reporting.
- Strengthen existing or create new operational systems, processes and procedures that support effective, efficient, and responsive financial management and accounting to the organization.
- Ensure the provision of robust accounting services for use by managers in planning and controlling income and expenditure and in monitoring income and expenditure against targets.
- Ensure preparation of monthly financial results for quarterly/annual financial forecasts to assist in financial planning and inform decision making.
- Establish and measure financial benchmarks for the organization. Assess the organization’s performance against both short and long term strategy as well as the organization’s budget.
- Responsible for the development and effective implementation of all financial policies, procedures and the internal control structure for Greenpeace East Asia.
- Ensure legal and regulatory compliance with all local governmental requirements that relate to any financial matters.
- Ensure compliance with all Greenpeace International reporting requirements.
- Supervise and mentor all staff within the Finance Department and ensure effective performance appraisals and objectives are set for each member of the department.
- Ensure that the Finance Department models best practices in providing services and support to other departments in Greenpeace East Asia and Greenpeace offices worldwide.
- Analyze new business initiatives and proposed investments to provide insights to the Executive Director and Senior Management Team.
- Serve as part of the Senior Management Team and collaboratively work together to develop organizational strategic goals and objectives.
- Liaison directly with Greenpeace International for all financial related matters and work with financial colleagues around the world on global financial initiatives.
- Keep abreast of financial developments across the charity sector and on local regulatory requirements.
Act with integrity
Coordinate & Implement Plans
Negotiate with Others (internal & external)
Resolve Conflicts (internal)
Skills and Expertise required
- Knowledgeable user of accounting systems and/or ERPs, being familiar with SUN systems accounts is a plus.
• Advanced user of MS Excel (pivot tables, macros).
• Familiar with business intelligence tools (e.g. Cognos, Crystal reports, SQL).
• Experienced in fulfilling external governance and reporting requirements.
Specific Work Environment
Works in a standard office environment, and is frequently required to travel to other Greenpeace offices, campaign locations or locations where environmental problems require the presence of Greenpeace representatives.