The anticipated USAID-funded Youth Activity project in the Philippines will work with the Government of the Philippines to support improved basic education and life skills for vulnerable youth. The activity outcomes will include improved literacy, life and employability skills; strengthened local capacity to deliver education and training service delivery; and strengthened youth leadership and engagement.
The Finance Director will provide overall financial management and oversight for the project and will work closely with the Chief of Party (COP). This position will also be a liaison with the Home Office to ensure full compliance with regulations and policies with regard to implementation of effective internal controls.
Reporting & Supervision:
The Finance Director will report to the COP and supervise a team of support personnel.
- Establish and maintain financial management and accounting control systems for program expenditures;
- Ensure that the project meets all donor contractual requirements and complies with donor policies and regulations;
- Receive and account for all funds for the project (performing weekly and monthly cash checks).
- Liaise between Creative Associates’ field and headquarters offices;
- Participate in ongoing analysis, forecasting and review of project expenses;
- Participate in budget planning and realignments as required;
- Track the transfer of funds between headquarters and the field office, and manage accounting and finance records of in-country expenses, including developing spreadsheet programs for tracking and monitoring all financial project activities, and maintaining spreadsheets with current project expense data;
- Provide Project Director/HQ updates on the status of fund requests and work with Finance and Contracts (F&C) in Washington, DC to ensure the timely transfer of funds;
- Submit wire transfer requests for field offices to F&C for processing;
- Process check requests and wire transfer requests for payments to vendors in compliance with contract requirements;
- Review and process invoices and in-field fee payments in accordance with Creative accounting procedures and contract policies;
- Work closely with field-based subawardees to ensure budgets, projections, and invoices are completed according to Creative/USAID policies and procedures;
- Manage personnel and payroll office staff and procedures;
- Maintain project financial and contractual files;
- Develop financial procedures manual;
- Provide financial management and systems training for project staff;
- Maintain a database of accounting documents, in both electronic and hard copy;
- Consolidate accounting data into a monthly return to be forwarded to Headquarters in paper and electronic copies;
- Prepare the requisite financial documents and vouchers;
- Draft quarterly and annual financial reports on financial status of project expenses and budget information and forward to F&C for review and approval by the Controller;
- Coordinate with USAID regarding the management of U.S. dollars and local currencies;
- Prepare monthly field expense reports;
- Travel to field office sites when necessary; and
- Perform other related duties as assigned.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- M.S. degree in accounting or financial management; M.S. degree desired;
- At least eight (8) years of experience required;
- Previous financial management of a donor-funded project in Southeast Asia;
- Public or private sector management, financial analysis, cost accounting and relevant experience preferably in developing countries;
- Demonstrated capacity to supervise a complex financial management or general ledger system; and
- Fluency in English and Filipino.
Local candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Position contingent upon donor funding.
About the Organization
Creative Associates International is a dynamic, fast-growing global development firm that specializes in education, economic growth, democratic development and post-crisis stabilization. Based in Washington, D.C., Creative has a field presence in more than 25 countries with a strong client portfolio that includes the U.S. Agency for International Development and the State Department, among others. Since its founding in 1977, Creative has earned a solid reputation among its clients and is well-regarded by competitors and partners alike.