Job Description Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners’ needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.
Background Information - Job-specific
The internship is learning and working opportunity that targets fresh graduates. The intern will assist the Finance Associate and provide support to the Sudan Office - UNOPS. The intern will be exposed to practical learning and working experiences that foster development of his /her path. The Intern will work full time and follow the same working hours as UNOPS employees.
Summary of key functions:
- Treasury and payments functions
- Accounting and administrative support
- Financial reporting and control
- Facilitation of knowledge building and knowledge sharing
Provide support on achievement of the following results:.
- Proper filing of financial documentations
- Assist in the preparation of payments
- Assist in review of payments by checking supporting documentations and verify the adherence of internal procedures
- Prepare project financial reporting
- Assist in budget preparation
- Perform other duties as assigned by Finance Officer.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Accounting & Finance is required.
B. Work Experience
- Applicants are not required to have professional work experience.
- Language Requirements: Fluency in written and oral English and local language is required.
- Ability to work independently, as part of a team.
- Good communication and interpersonal skills.
- Willingness to acquire new knowledge and being flexible.
- Ability to work in a multi-cultural environment
- Ability to produce quality result in time.
Knowledge Management and Learning
Contract type, level and duration
- Promotes a knowledge-sharing and learning culture in the office
- Ability to advocate and provide policy advice
- Actively works towards continuing personal learning and development in one or more Practice Areas, acts on learning plan and applies newly acquired skills
- Contract type: Internship
- Contract duration - Six months
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
Background Information - Sudan
Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
The UNOPS Sudan office is based in Khartoum and works closely with the Government of Sudan and international partners to support humanitarian response, recovery and development initiatives. UNOPS is the United Nations sector lead for the Basic Infrastructure Sector in Sudan and helps partners achieve their project goals in sectors including: water resource management, education, census and elections, human resource management and mine action.
About the Organization
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.