Job Title: Syria Finance Manager
Location: Amman, Jordan with frequent travel in the Region
Duration: 1 year start date of October 1st 2018.
Reports: Country Director, with Technical Reporting to Regional Finance Manager
About RI: Relief International is a leading nonprofit organization working in roughly 20 countries to relieve poverty, ensure well-being and advance dignity. We specialize in fragile settings, responding to natural disasters, humanitarian crises and chronic poverty. Relief International combines humanitarian and development approaches to provide immediate services while laying the groundwork for long-term impact. Our signature approach — which we call the RI Way—emphasizes local participation, an integration of services, strategic partnerships and a focus on civic skills. In this way, we empower communities to find, design and implement the solutions that work best for them.
About the context and RI’s role:
Reporting to the Syria Deputy Country Director (DCD), the hub team lead (HTL) oversees the implementation, coordination and administration of all aspects related to ongoing program activities in Syria from the relevant hub including planning, organizing, staffing, leading, and ensuring quality implementation of program activities. The HTL will be overall in-charge and leader at the hub level and is responsible for day to day management functions and overall management of all Syria related staff and cross border programs. At every hub level, a separate/distinct country mission will/may also exist which will be managed by an individual SMT lead by respective country director for that mission. The HTL is expected to understand and be able to manage in remote management setup in addition of being able to comply and coordinate with the Country Directors of the respective country missions. These requires a clear understanding for the sensitivity of carrying out cross border programming from a host country and being under the legal umbrella of the affiliated hub.
Reporting to the Syria Country Director (CD), the Syria Finance Manager (FM) is responsible for the strategic direction and leadership of all Finance and Administrative functions of the Syria Country Program managed through three hubs. In close coordination with the Deputy Country Director (DCD) and Hub Team Leads, the FM will oversee and provide technical, operational and strategic guidance to hub based cross border finance teams that retain dotted line responsibility to the FM. The FM will also have responsibility for ensuring that all financial transactions for the Syria Country Program are well coordinated between the hub and the Syria FM, are accounted for and documented accurately. He/she will be responsible for ensuring that all RI accounting procedures are followed and budgets are adhered to; all donor and internal reporting requirements and deadlines are met; cash is controlled and accounted for in a timely manner in accordance with RI, donor and audit requirements.
Essential Position Responsibilities and Duties:
Financial Accounting, Reporting, and Control
- Ensure that effective systems are put in place and regularly reviewed to allow adequate financial management and control, including; cash and cash flow management and control; expenditure procedures, especially around procurement; cost allocation procedures; inventory and requisition procedures; documentation of all controls and procedures; finance training for finance staff in all three hubs and that of partners as necessary; availability of funds for all three hubs; segregation of finance duty within the hub based cross border finance teams;
- Implement and maintain systems to ensure that cash is controlled and accounted for in an accurate and timely manner in accordance with RI, donor and audit requirements;
- Lead all donor audit missions and ensure full preparation.
- Manage the preparation of all donor reports, with full coordination with other FMs and review them with the CD before submission to the Regional Finance Manager for approval;
- Prepare monthly financial accounts and review them with the CD;
- In conjunction with the CD and supported by the Regional Finance Manager, coordinate and oversee all internal and external audits including ensuring that all financial records and backup documentation are ready and available;
- Design and implement a system to assist hub team leads, the DCD and CD to review, monitor and track real time project budget Vs actual reports to ensure appropriate cost allocations;
- Assist and work with the Country Director to create annual budget for the country;
- Assist Project Managers in ensuring compliance with RI procurements and field accounting policies and procedures, compliance with donor agreement and audit requirements;
- Review budget revisions in close coordination with the hub team leads and the CD;
- Ensure that all financial records and backup documentation have been archived to cloud server electronically on monthly basis;
- Provide technical assistance to hub based finance teams as required and/or requested by hub team leads;
- Create professional atmosphere, systems and SOP to work with other departments within RI hub offices.
- Improve relationship with other departments between hub based offices and visit hub offices regularly.
- In close collaboration with the hub based country mission finance leads, ensures compliance with relevant local government Tax Law and tax reporting.
Policy and Strategy Development
- Ensure effective resource management and maximise cost effectiveness and value for money throughout the program.
- Lead the annual financial operational planning process in close collaboration with the Country Director and supported by the Regional Finance Manager.
- Works closely with the Country Director and hub team leads to implement, improve and maintain financial management policies, systems, structures, and procedures.
- Oversee the hub based finance teams, providing leadership to the finance staff.
- Proactively identify and act upon deficiencies and areas for improvement in the hub based finance team, providing training and other capacity-building where necessary to ensure that finance staff capacity is continuously developing.
Qualifications and Requirements:
This position demands a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding and fast paced environment.
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting, business management or similar and advanced university degree in Finance, Accounting or CPA required.
- A minimum of 7 years’ experience as finance supervisor / lead positions with international non–profit agencies. US and EU funded grants financial and administrative management experience highly preferred;
- Excellent financial and analytical skills;
- Excellent communication and drafting skills for effective reporting on program financial performance;
- Ability to manage a financial/monitoring team and demonstrate leadership;
- Ability to operate in a cross-cultural environment requiring flexibility;
- Ability and willingness to travel to all hub sites and inside Syria (where security allows).
- Familiarity with the aid system, and understanding of donor and governmental requirements;
- The candidate must be detail-oriented and able to work independently;
- Thorough knowledge of Netsuite accounting software is required;
- Fluency in English required - ability to communicate in Arabic language is a strong asset.
We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality, and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities. We value:
- Transparency and Accountability
- Agility and Innovation