Role & Responsibilities
Oversee the financial activities of the programme; carry out the various accounting functions required in order to provide accurate and timely information to donors, GSO (Global Support Office), field management and the field teams on the financial status of the programme. This involves organising and further developing the financial processes required for the projects to function effectively as well as managing the finance team, providing coaching and training as required.
In response to the ongoing crisis in Iraq, Medair’s programme is delivering emergency assistance to Iraqi IDPs, returnees and host communities in Dohuk, Ninewa, Kirkuk and Salah-al-Din. Projects include Emergency Health Response, Shelter and NFI Assistance, Multi-Purpose Cash Assistance and WASH. The Iraq programme operates within the Medair Middle East programme, collaboration, coordination and shared learning of projects is expected within the region.
Workplace & Conditions
Field based position in Erbil, Iraq. Take a look at Medair’s work in Iraq.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
March 2019 or as soon as possible. Full time, 24 months.
Key Activity Areas
- In charge of field accounting management: ensure that proper documentation supports each payment; process payments in a timely fashion; oversee FC batches weekly/monthly to ensure exactness of coded dimensionalities and grant allocation; coordinate the preparation of monthly csv file; ensure that finance team is properly trained; ensure that Medair Finance Procedures are; Country Programme focal point for IRS and NRS staff Labour report (LR) monthly exercise.
- Treasury management: reconcile / verifying bank and cash amounts on a regular basis; prepare the monthly cash needs forecast for the programme to send to GSO and update it weekly; ensure that money is transferred between locations in a timely manner and that daily cash needs are met; ensure that security money and operating buffer is monitored and updated regularly to meet program’s needs.
- Coordinate base budgets preparation for each country location and quarterly revision.
- Work with budget Holders (BH). Review of project budgets.
- Preparation of TCV (Total Cost View) and reports to send to GSO for feedback and approval.
- Responsible for grant coding in country as well as monitoring of projects and grant BvAs.
- Providing functional supervision to Finance Officer in field locations.
- Work with GSO and specifically as issues arise or when changes occur to the policies.
- Monitoring project spending on a monthly basis, communicating about any under / over spend and working to agree appropriate actions in order to bring spending in line with approved budgets.
- Contribute to the financial management of signed donor grants.
- Prepare for financial audits, providing all information required by local legislation, donors.
- Meet the finance related administrative requirements of Medair and any other stakeholders, so that the financial aspects of the programme function efficiently, effectively and with integrity.
- Work with HR to ensure the preparation of monthly payroll list, payment and record-keeping of staff salaries / allowances is done in a timely manner and in accordance with local employment regulations.
- Support GSO in reporting to donors, providing relevant documents and narrative explanations.
- Organise the processes required for the financial aspects of the programme to function effectively.
- Ensure that records are kept in an orderly fashion and that the filing (archive) system is in line with Medair internal archiving policies and meet donor requirements.
- Manage the finance staff including recruitment, day-to-day management, development, appraisal, etc.
- Develop a communication structure to ensure all are kept informed of financial requirements.
- Provide training on financial management, procedures, internal controls and financial requirements.
- Control and manage the security of in-country cash when held on site and when being transferred.
- Conduct regular internal audits and report immediately any possible fraud or theft.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with team members, local staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work, live, and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree in relevant subject and / or Certified Public Accountant (CPA) Part 2 (or equivalent).
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written).
Experience / Competencies
- Relevant professional experience in a financial position for at least two years.
- High numeracy skills, problem solving ability, excellent attention to detail.
- Strong organisational skills and the capacity to analyse and prioritise needs.
- Strong leadership skills and a supportive management style.
- Able to work under pressure and manage personal stress levels.
- Compassionate, self-motivated, energetic, autonomous. Team-player with good inter-personal skills.
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
- Medair organisational values.
- Profiles and benefits package provided for Internationally Recruited Staff (IRS).
- Medair Relief & Recovery Orientation Course (ROC) (which forms part of the recruitment selection process for field positions).
To apply, go to the ”Current Vacancies” page then:
- apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile), or
- apply for a Medair ROC (where we can try and match your competencies to our vacancy needs).
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.
About the Organization
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure.