Land O’ Lakes, Inc. is looking for a qualified, motivated and team-oriented staff member to work under the United States Department of Agriculture (USDA)-funded Food for Progress (FFP). The position is contingent upon finalization of the agreement between USDA and Land O’Lakes. The new, 3-year FFP will develop selected crops and livestock value chains, particularly in Nkhotakota and Salima Districts.
The program will work with private and public sector partners to implement sustainable, profit driven solutions for the:
- Improvement of Agricultural Production and Nutrition
- Enhancement of Farmer Organization Capacities
- Strengthening of Agribusiness and Support Services
The Finance Manager provides advanced accounting and financial oversight to the organization’s Malawi Program. This position assists and supports the Country Manager in regards to all accounting and financial reporting activities, while providing leadership to the program team surrounding any and all financial and administrative issues. This position is also responsible for the grants management systems including the monitoring and compliance of program sub-recipients. The person holding this position also performs basic accounting functions within the organization.
Duties and responsibilities
- Ensure the accuracy and timeliness of all monthly accounting entries for the program
- Work closely with the Country Manager to monitor program spending
- Guide and assist program assistants and other budget users to prepare, revise and monitor budgets for their ongoing activities
- Follow-up on finance queries with the Regional Office and ensure timely response to all finance concerns
- Review expenditures relating to all accounting documents for accuracy and consistency with donor regulations and program guidelines
- Key vouchers and other transactions into the accounting system
- Reconcile all balance sheet accounts at least every month
- Assist management in limiting financial risk to the program and Land O’Lakes, Inc.
- Assist in the implementation and maintenance of Accounting System and ensure that all administrative procedures are clearly defined and enforced
- Provide month-end reports by the specified due date and be committed to meeting reporting deadlines
- Develop and follow organizational procurement policies for purchasing supplies, equipment and service
- Safeguard assets against theft, destruction, or inadequate maintenance
- Work with Country Manager to identify and assess potential grant recipient
- Train, monitor and evaluate grant recipients at both the programming and financial level
- Support and supervise administrative personnel and functions (including in the main and all sub/field offices)
- Provide timely, honest, and appropriate information to the Country Manager
- A degree in Accounting or any other relevant Business Degree and ACCA/CPA qualifications
- Advanced knowledge of computers and MS Excel required
- Advanced communication skills both oral and written
- Must be detail oriented, proactive and flexible
- Previous experience in managing U.S. Government grants, agreements, and/or contracts preferred
- Prior working experience with Cost Point Accounting system will be an added advantage
- Honest, hard working team player capable of working with minimal supervision and who is willing to admit mistakes and learn from them while meeting deadlines
1) Interested candidates must submit their application letters and detailed CVs with 3 traceable references to email@example.com. Please do not attach files greater than 1 MB (copies of certificates will be requested later in the recruiting process).
2) The email’s subject line must include the words “Application for FFP Finance Manager”.
3) Applications must be received by end of day 07 September 2011.
NOTE: Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Failure to follow the instructions above may result in disqualification from the recruitment process.