Job Title: Finance Manager, Sierra Leone
Job Type: Regular, Full Time
Reports To: Head of Operations
Job Location: Freetown, Sierra Leone
Catholic Relief Services is the official international humanitarian agency of the Catholic community in the United States. CRS works to save, protect, and transform lives in need in more than 100 countries, without regard to race, religion or nationality. CRS’ relief and development work is accomplished through programs of emergency response, HIV, health, agriculture, education, microfinance and peacebuilding.
You ensure a high level of resource stewardship, strict financial accountability and financial risk management while ensuring the effectiveness and robustness of the Country Program (CP) and relevant partners’ financial management systems, processes, and practices in support of high-quality programs serving the poor and vulnerable. You anticipate and manage financial management services needs and delivery challenges, and identify and implement improvement solutions, as needed, to minimize CP and partners’ exposure to financial risk.
- Develop and manage financial processes in accordance with policies and provide proactive service delivery, advice, and support to managers, staff, and subrecipients in relation to managing the whole project cycle (Design, Start-up, Implementation, Close-out), ensuring efficiency and compliance with CRS’ policies and procedures, Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP), donors’ rules and regulations, and legal requirements.
- Provide direction and coordination of effective budget development and management (Annual Program Plans and project budgets), ensuring accuracy and consistency of financial data and safeguarding of resources.
- Ensure integrity of accounting information by reviewing account issues for compliance and establishing quality control over accounting transactions and financial reporting. Oversee maintenance of supporting documentation for a reliable and easy to follow audit trail.
- Lead the preparation of accurate financial data, analysis and projections and support the Senior Management Team and Program/Project Managers in interpreting data for decision-making and effectively managing financial risks.
- Effectively manage talent and supervise. Manage team dynamics and staff well-being. Provide coaching, strategically tailor individual development plans, and complete performance management for direct reports.
- Oversee the performance of accurate reporting procedures and timely submission of reports to relevant stakeholders (CP managers, Regional Office, HQ/Finance, donors, local government entities).
- Lead assessment of staff and subrecipients’ financial management capacity, ensure capacity strengthening on finance policies and regulations, as needed, and monitor and measure impact.
- Lead efforts to close audit financial management findings in a timely and sustainable way.
Typical Background, Experience & Requirements:
Education and Experience
- B.A. degree in Accounting, Finance, Economics, Business Administration with courses in accounting, or a qualification in accounting (CPA/ACCA or equivalent). MBA or Master’s degree in related field with a focus on Accounting preferred. A professional certification in Accounting or a related field highly preferred.
- Minimum of five years experience in a similar position, preferably with an International NGO.
- Additional education may substitute for some experience.
- Knowledge of the relevant public donors’ regulations highly preferred.
- Substantial budgeting, budget/expense analysis, and accounting experience.
- Knowledge of local law in taxation and local regulatory reporting procedures.
- Staff management experience.
- Strong experience in presenting and facilitating on financial management topics.
- Proficient in MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint, Visio), Web Conferencing Applications. Knowledge of Sunsytems financial accounting package or similar financial reporting software highly preferred
- Excellent analytical skills with ability to make sound judgment and decisions
- Very good planning, monitoring and organizational skills
- Ethical conduct in accordance with recognized professional and organizational codes of ethics
- Proactive, resourceful, solutions oriented and results-oriented
- Ability to work collaboratively
Required/Desired Foreign Language: English
Travel Required: 15% travel to field locations
Key Working Relationships:
Supervisory: Deputy Finance Managers, Grant Accountants
Internal: Country Representative, Head of Operations, Head of Programming, Chief of Party, Program Directors
External: Banks, Relevant Government Agencies, External Auditors, Legal Counsel
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff)
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
- Continuous Improvement & Innovation
- Builds Relationships
- Develops Talent
- Strategic Mindset
- Accountability & Stewardship
What we offer
CRS offers a comprehensive benefits package including medical, dental, life insurance, vision, generous retirement savings plan and the opportunity to work in a collaborative, mission-driven culture that is committed to improving the lives of the poor throughout the world.
***Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. We welcome as a part of our staff people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need. CRS’ processes and policies reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
Disclaimer: This job description is not an exhaustive list of the skill, effort, duties, and responsibilities associated with the position.
CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
EOE/M/F/D/V - CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.