Rare is currently seeking a Financial Analyst for its Blended Finance Initiative working from its headquarters in Arlington, VA.
Under the Blended Finance Initiative, Rare is developing a pathway to finance community-led conservation at scale by blending philanthropy, public funding, bilateral/multilateral finance and private capital. This position will be a key addition to a growing team. S/he will help provide the financial analysis, models and research to help design and scale blended finance solutions in countries that Rare operates in.
The ideal candidate is dynamic, resourceful, detail-oriented and high-energy, with the ability to produce high quality outputs and problem solve under high pressure environments. S/he is creative, analytical and well organized, and a strong communicator.
Key responsibilities include:
- Create financial models in support of blended finance products, that aim to mobilize private and public sector capital.
- Provide support on all the Blended Finance Initiative’s investment and advisory operations, including problem solving on complex issues of implementation, monitoring and evaluation.
- Produce reports, lessons learned, case studies, and examples.
- Research and analyze blended finance products and green bonds issuances, including environmental and social issues.
- Conduct ESG research and analysis on sovereign and supranational institutions, as well as on public and private financial institutions.
- Coordinate the research and development of key reports for internal and external stakeholders.
- Contribute to the development of an internal ESG and green bonds methodology.
Experience & Education:
- Minimum 3 years of experience in finance, responsible investment and/or financial analysis, ideally in an investment banking role.
- Strong finance background and financial modeling skills, especially fixed income products.
- Advanced technology skills, including Excel and other modeling and statistical packages
- Good knowledge investment products and fixed income issues and trends.
- Understanding and interest in ESG and green finance issues.
- Ability to work independently with minimal supervision.
- Demonstrated ability to clearly communicate complex information in a user-friendly way, including outstanding skills in writing, editing and presenting.
- Creative and entrepreneurial streak with proven ability to find new solutions and influence the thinking of others.
- Ability to travel internationally at least 20% of the time.
- A genuine passion for delivering significant social and environmental impact.
- Prior experience in an international, multi-cultural work environment is essential, with willingness to work flexible hours on an as-needed basis to serve the needs of a global organization with diverse time zones.
- Understanding of natural capital and ecosystem services valuation preferred.
- Knowledge of Islamic finance a plus.
- BS/BA required; MBA or relevant Master’s degree preferred.
- Proficiency in other languages is a plus, especially Spanish, French, Mandarin Chinese or Bahasa Indonesia
About the Organization
Rare inspires change so people and nature thrive.
Rare believes that conservation is about people. True, most environmental problems stem from human activity, but people also wield the solutions. Rare concentrates on finding and replicating proven solutions to many of the world’s biggest environmental challenges. Rare’s mantra is to find what works and then repeat.
Core to that approach is Rare’s insight that individuals and communities are motivated as much by emotion as by reason. Thus conservationists must become as skilled in social science as biological science. This is the rationale behind Rare’s signature Pride campaigns.
Rare trains local leaders to run Pride campaigns that employ proven social science methods typically reserved for the marketing and advertising industries to inspire change people to adopt conservation solutions and empower them to make those solutions their own. By appealing to both hearts and minds, Rare’s prove approach accelerates the adoption and increases the sustainability of the solutions. Rare and its partners have conducted over 250 Pride campaigns in more than 50 countries, empowering local communities to become natural asset managers across Latin America, Asia and Africa.