The Finance Group (FG) is a critical and strategic business function in UNOPS and serves as an authoritative and integrated partner in the organization on strategic financial planning and budgeting, business strategy and practices, financial analysis and risk assessment, financial management services and long term organizational treasury and investments. As the steward of resources of a self-financing UN entity, FG is accountable for timely cost recovery and reporting to partners, maintaining the integrity and transparency of financial management of resources in accordance with the highest standards of ethics and organizational/international accountability framework and the accurate and transparent financial reporting to governing bodies, clients, partners and stakeholders.
Background Information - Job-specific
The Financial Planning Analyst reports to the Head of Business Planning who provides broad supervision and guidance. The role is responsible for supporting the implementation of the annual budgeting cycle and the internal investment management process, based on strategy requirements. It is also responsible for assisting with the development of organizational analysis on progress towards strategy implementation.
Financial planning and internal investment process
- Provide analysis and support on the organization-wide processes for budgeting, forecasting, target setting and resource allocation.
- Assist the Head of Business Planning and Analysis by providing analysis to support recommendations on key assumptions required for annual budgeting process.
- Assist in the consolidation of UNOPS overall budget.
- Assist the Head of Business Planning to monitor and evaluate the implementation of budgets, highlighting deviations.
- Assist in the review of investment funding and associated investment proposals.
- Provide analysis on implementation of internal investments and organize reporting and communication on internal investments.
- Support and assist the Head of Business Planning and Analysis and the Deputy CFO by providing analysis to support the development of financial and non-financial KPI’s.
- Analyze actual financial results to understand key business drivers and variances to budget/forecast.
- Provide analysis and support as required for discussions on UNOPS Budget Estimates.
Knowledge management and innovation
- Constantly monitor and evaluate policies, procedures, methods, tools and associated systems to ensure its utility, applicability and efficacy.
- Design/approve refinements to processes to maximize the benefits of management information system to enhance efficiency and facilitate organizational/management monitoring, oversight and reporting.
- Support training events to build capacity of stakeholders on financial planning and internal investment process.
- A Master’s degree in business administration, or other relevant field is required.
- A minimum of 2 years of relevant experience in a large international organization or business corporation is required.
- Full working knowledge of English
- Knowledge of another official UN language is an asset
Contract type, level and duration
- Contract type : International Individual Contractor
- Contract level : IICA 1
- Contract duration Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:
- Please note that the closing date is midnight Copenhagen time
- Applications received after the closing date will not be considered.
- Only those candidates that are short-listed for interviews will be notified.
- Qualified female candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
- Work life harmonization - UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands. We have a progressive policy on work-life harmonization and offer several flexible working options. This policy applies to UNOPS personnel on all contract types
- For staff positions only, UNOPS reserves the right to appoint a candidate at a lower level than the advertised level of the post
- The incumbent is responsible to abide by security policies, administrative instructions, plans and procedures of the UN Security Management System and that of UNOPS.
- It is the policy of UNOPS to conduct background checks on all potential recruits/interns.
- Recruitment/internship in UNOPS is contingent on the results of such checks.
About the Organization
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.