Resonance is seeking candidates to support our team in the role of Fisheries Supply Chain Assessment Consultant for the USAID SFMP project. The Consultant will work closely with the SFMP Livelihoods team and other internal and external stakeholders to identify challenges and opportunities related to supply-chain disruptions to the fisheries supply chain. Specifically, the consultant will assess the impacts of policies that manage traffic and social distancing in markets to prevent the spread of COVID-19, which might reduce fish sales and increase demand for processing or cold storage of fresh fish. S/he will also assess if the Government of Ghana’s program of providing food aid during the outbreak may represent a new market for actors in the fisheries supply chain. The assessment will take place across the four coastal regions of Ghana and involve interviews at up to 5 sites per region, based on initial analysis of travel restrictions and other potential supply chain disruptions.
In collaboration with national fisheries associations, the consultant will assess strategies already being used to improve supply chain efficiencies and market linkages (e.g. aggregation, mobile sales) and identify which have potential to scale and where new and innovative approaches are needed. The consultant will work with the SFMP Livelihoods Specialist to identify opportunities for youth to engage in the supply chain both during the pandemic and in future to increase efficiency and market linkages along the chain. The assessment will focus on key aspects of the fisheries supply chain including transportation, processing, storage, logistics, sales and market linkages, with youth and women engagement as a key consideration throughout.
The assessment should serve as basis for SFMP and its partners to decide on a way forward in terms of strategies and partnerships to address supply chain disruptions. If disruptions are identified, SFMP plans to organize partnership workshops to present results of the assessment and engage with partners to implement collaborative solutions.
This will be a consultant position based remotely, requiring travel within Ghana, from August to mid-October 2020 on a part-time basis.
- Provide input for the detailed work plan for completing the supply chain assessment
- Conduct desk research on the Government of Ghana’s COVID-19 prevention policies and their current and potential impacts on fisheries supply chains.
- Work with SFMP team and apex fisheries and fish processing organizations to identify the needs and challenges, if any, that their members are experiencing due to COVID-19 prevention policies.
- Identify and conduct interviews with key actors in each of Ghana’s four coastal regions involved in fish transportation, processing, storage, logistics, sales and market linkages. Interviews should determine what bottlenecks might present vulnerabilities to disruption within the fisheries supply chain, what different actors in the supply need and what approaches could address these bottlenecks. Interviews will take place at up to 20 sites selected in conjunction with the SFMP team and based on initial analysis of travel restrictions and other potential supply chain disruptions
- Assess strategies already being used to improve efficiency and market linkages (e.g. aggregation, mobile sales, etc.) in fish supply chains, and identify which have potential to apply to scale and where innovative approaches are needed.
- Work with the SFMP Livelihoods Specialist to identify opportunities for youth to engage in the supply chain to increase efficiency and market linkages.
- Identify potential partnerships to mitigate disruptions and capitalize on economic opportunities due to market shifts during the crisis.
- Synthesize findings of desk research and interviews into a report that includes a situational analysis (challenges, bottlenecks and needs) and potential solutions (mitigation approaches and partnerships) related to supply-chain disruptions.
- As needed, participate in partnership workshops with identified organizations to discuss the framework and objectives for supply chain partnership
- Coordinate with the Resonance – SFMP team on a regular basis to provide progress updates.
Required Education and Experience
- At least seven years of relevant professional experience (can substitute three years of experience with a Master’s)
- Proven capability in research, quantitative/qualitative analysis and report writing/presentation development
- Outstanding written and oral communications skills; some level of comfort speaking to diverse and large groups
- A strong ability to use Microsoft Office products, including PowerPoint, Excel, and Word
- Experience in project management, multi-sectoral partner/client relations, or supply chain management, preferably in the fisheries, agriculture, and/or development sectors
- Ability to travel domestically
- Ability to develop effective working relationships with local organizations, community groups, and other program partners and stakeholders.
- Eligibility to work in Ghana
Work Location and Travel Expectations
Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Only candidates selected for interviews will be contacted. No phone calls please. Resonance is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
- The Fisheries Supply Chain Assessment consultant will be based remotely in Ghana. Some travel within coastal regions, as determined in conjunction with the SFMP team, is expected as part of this assessment.
About the Organization
Resonance is an award-winning frontier market solutions firm based in Burlington, Vermont that helps a variety of donor, commercial and investor clients around the world to catalyze lasting impact. We envision a prosperous and just world of thriving markets, healthy ecosystems, and vibrant communities where business, governments and citizens work together creating a better world for all.
Resonance seeks to catalyze large-scale social, environmental, and economic change by fostering new and dynamic forms of collaboration. We do this by fostering public-private partnerships, facilitating sustainable investment, and providing deep analytical insights in frontier markets. We strive to merge strategic insight with practical on-the-ground knowledge into an integrated approach that emphasizes results.
Resonance was recently named one of Inc. 5000’s fastest growing privately-held companies. We seek candidates who are ready to apply their analytical and problem-solving skills to some of our planet’s greatest challenges in an entrepreneurial, fun, and fast-paced environment. We are looking for passionate and committed people who can work in a highly collaborative environment to deliver results for our clients and stakeholders around the world.