Job DescriptionGrowth, Enterprise, Employment & Livelihoods (GEEL) is 5-year USAID-funded project designed to promote and facilitate inclusive economic growth in Puntland, Somaliland and other existing and emerging federal states. The project is currently focusing on the agricultural sector (dairy, fisheries, sesame and banana) but is anticipated to expand in the future into other sectors of the economy. It will also seek to strengthen the business enabling environment through improving access to finance, policy and regulation, and business development services. Particular focus will be given to increase the participation of women and youth in the economy as entrepreneurs, employers, and employees.
The Fisheries Team Leader will be responsible for leading and implementing GEEL•s fisheries sector activities in accordance with GEEL•s annual work plans, to achieve GEEL•s contractual deliverables and indicator targets. H/she will engage with private sector enterprises, potential investors, cooperatives, women•s groups and government representatives with the overall goal of increasing investment, productivity and employment in the sector. Emphasis to strengthening and improving private sector led growth, investments and jobs while being cognizant of sustainable management of fish stocks
The Fisheries Team Leader would join an existing team who is now implementing the Year Two Work Plan•s activities directly targeting the fisheries sector. It is widely acknowledged that fisheries have a key role to play in expanding sustainable employment, enterprise and livelihoods in Somalia. The sector is also ripe for the introduction of new renewable energy technologies and investment • other key GEEL goals.
The Fisheries Team Leader will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Design, manage and/or implement fisheries sector activities according to annual work plans.
- Work closely with key sector stakeholders to create new market linkages and export networks, ensuring interventions in the fisheries sector increase gender equity.
- Facilitate the integration of fishermen and fishing cooperatives into the broader fisheries sector.
- Increase the competitiveness of Somali seafood products including but not limited to design and implementation of export certification and standards to increase value and volumes of fish exports.
- Identify and integrate various value chain components e.g. logistics, cold-chain storages, certification and standards in addition to small scale jetties and fish landing sites.
- Advise and support Somalia diaspora investors seeking new investment opportunities in fisheries sector including but not limited to mentoring, coaching, provision of business market information, analytics etc to make a solid investment decisions in the sector.
- In collaboration with GEEL•s investment and finance team; work with the financial institutions such as banks and MFIs to design and implement appropriate financial products suitable for the fisheries sector.
- Manage local staff and short-term consultants that may be recruited to GEEL to work on fisheries sector activities.
- Represent GEEL among the various stakeholders engaged in the fisheries sector, including fisherfolk, processors, associations, exporters, researchers, government, and donors with similar projects.
- Design and implementation of competitiveness events related to the fisheries sector in close collaboration with the Agricultural Value Chain Team Leader, DCOP and Investment Advisor.
- Identify and evaluate key businesses or business proposals that will receive mentoring and technical support from GEEL.
- Review partnership, investments, and grant requests/applications from fisheries sector applicants and advise on the feasibility and design for assistance.
- Facilitate meetings, site visits, and study tours for businessmen and Government officials that promote public-private dialogue and investments •in the fisheries sector.
- Detailed liaison and briefings as may be requested on fisheries issues by COP and USAID.
- Any other tasks that may be allotted to the post.
The Fisheries Team Leader will report directly to the Chief of Party or his designee and will be responsible for managing both fisheries sector staff within GEEL and fisheries sector consultants.
- Minimum of Bachelor•s degree required in relevant field. Master•s preferred or equivalent combination of education and work experience in a relevant competency area, including Environmental management, Agriculture, Natural resource management, Natural science, Environmental science, or other relevant field.
- Minimum five years of experience working in the marine and fisheries sector, preferably with an implementer, the private sector, or a government agency. Preference for those with demonstrated experience contributing to fishing industry development, establishing seafood value chains, and/or advising on best practices in seafood industry/health safety standards.
- Experience with fisheries cold storage facilities and cold chain development, and IUU fishing valuable.
- Experience working collaboratively with host country governments and the local private sector, leading policy discussions, and coordinating activities with those of other donors.
- Experience managing culturally diverse teams and working with counterparts from other cultures.
Knowledge/Skills/Abilities:- Knowledge of international fishing conventions and projects preferred.
- Detail-oriented with the ability to multitask, organize, and work productively and efficiently in a fast-paced environment.
- Willingness to work in fragile/post-conflict countries.
- Demonstrated experience managing or implementing projects in Somalia or surrounding areas highly preferred.
- Excellent oral and written English and Somali language skills.
- Honest and trustworthy.
- Ability to work independently and as part of team.
- High level of proficiency with Microsoft Office programs (PowerPoint, Word & Excel).
- Well-organized and able to perform effectively within tight deadlines.
- Hard-working, self-motivated and possessing a positive attitude.
- Willingness and/or ability to travel throughout Somalia.
- Ability to interact with various local media outlets and government stakeholders on behalf of the project.
About the OrganizationIDG Food & Agriculture