Five-Year Strategic Plan Development for the
Tanzanian Federation of Cooperatives Ltd.
Through the Creating an Environment for Cooperative Expansion (CECE) project, funded by USAID’s Cooperative Development Program (CDP), NCBA CLUSA is promoting a more enabling environment for cooperatives by improving legal and regulatory frameworks for cooperatives, strengthening skillsets of local cooperative support organizations, and providing tailored technical assistance to 60 cooperatives through coaching activities. The CECE project operates in Kenya, Madagascar, Tanzania, Peru, Guatemala, and Ecuador. In Tanzania, NCBA CLUSA partners with Rural Urban Development Initiatives (RUDI), a local NGO, to implement this work. This assignment is designed to support the Tanzanian Federation of Cooperatives (TFC) with their five-year strategic plan development process and 2021 annual work plan.
Tanzania Federation of Cooperatives Ltd
Tanzania Federation of Co-operatives Ltd (TFC) is the national cooperative umbrella organization that promotes, serves and coordinates the work of cooperative societies in mainland Tanzania. (Cooperatives are voluntary organizations, open to all persons able to use their services and willing to accept the responsibilities of membership/ownership, without gender, social, racial, political, or religious discrimination. (ICA Statement of Identity, 1995).
The Federation works to support and improve the policy, economic, legal, technical, and institutional environment for all cooperatives from primary societies to apexes. The Federation is working to offer alternative positive ways of developing the cooperative sector that is independent.
TFC is an autonomous, non–governmental and non–partisan body that is member-owned and managed in the spirit of internationally recognized co-operative principles and values. The Federation voices the views and demands of cooperatives on issues such as: markets, productivity, capacity building, information and fostering national integration (e.g. through trade and harmonization of relevant policies). Lobbying and advocacy work is one of the core functions of TFC. Its mandate is to “Promote the viability and growth of cooperatives as instruments of equity, social justice, and economic development.”
The overall objective of this assignment is to help TFC develop a five-year strategic plan to fulfill its mandate and help TFC develop an annual workplan to operationalize the strategic plan.
3. Scope of Work
The scope of work for the Consultant/Firm will include but not be limited to:
a) Familiarization with the history, review the vision and mission based on TFC’s mandated objectives;
b) Undertake stakeholders mapping and analysis their roles in the cooperative sector development.
c) Through a consultative process and application and review of appropriate tools of analysis, identify term goals, strategic objectives, key result areas and key performance indicators (KPIs) for the TFC;
d) Review the institutional capacity, organizational set-up, financial and administrative systems against TFC’s mandated objectives and the identified corporate goals, strategic objectives and key result areas, KPIs and make recommendations, if any;
e) In collaboration with TFC, develop a strategic plan for achieving the strategic objectives and key results;
f) Develop a Results and Resources Framework for the strategic plan period;
g) Hold board members, stakeholder and members general meeting(s) to validate the draft Strategic Plan;
h) Propose monitoring and evaluating strategies and mechanisms to ensure the effective implementation of the Strategic Plan;
i) Finalize Strategic Plan and submit to TFC;
j) Help TFC develop the 2021 annual workplan based on the strategic plan including objectives, activities, resources mobilization, key results areas, KPIs and outcomes.
a. Draft Report
b. Final Report incorporating suggestions and recommendations
c. One-year annual work plan
The following deliverables should be included in the report
· A five-year strategic plan including goals, strategic objectives, key result areas and key performance indicators (KPIs), and a results and resources framework
· Report on the process including stakeholder consultations and workshops
5. Period of Performance
The estimated level of effort for this assignment is 30-40 days within a two-month timeframe from the date of the award of contract.
6. Institutional Arrangements
The Consultant will report to RUDI and work directly with TFC’s Executive Secretary. The Federation will provide relevant background documents necessary for the assignment including, Cooperative Act, Cooperative policy, TFC bylaws, TFC’s Road Map, TFC quarterly and annually reports, the M&E framework, draft communication strategy, the organizational capacity assessment for higher tier cooperatives conducted by RUDI, and any other related documentation. TFC shall be responsible for the coordination of meetings and other activities under the Consultancy. And, the Consultant will have access to both internal and external stakeholders.
a) Academic Qualifications/Other Qualifications
At least a master’s degree in a relevant field in the area of planning, cooperatives studies, public policy, development studies, Business Administration and or Public Management/ Administration. Preference will be given to host country national/local Tanzanian applicants.
· At least five years professional experience in strategic planning and management consultancywork including with membership organizations
· Prior working experience with the cooperative sector is a requirement
· Demonstrated experience in working with government partners and other stakeholders in public sector development programs especially in the area of capacity development
c) Skills and Competencies:
· Ability to work with minimal supervision;
· High level written and oral communications skills in English and Kiswahili;
· Must be result-oriented, a team player, exhibiting high levels of enthusiasm, tact, diplomacy and integrity;
· Demonstrate excellent interpersonal and professional skills in interacting with private sector and development partners;
· Skills in facilitation of participatory stakeholder engagements/workshops;
· Evidence of having undertaken similar assignments;
· Experience in research, policy development, management, and programming-related work.
8. Payment: Submit salary expectations and budget for the assignment with application materials
9. Application Process
Please submit application materials listed below (in English pdf format) via e-mail no later than December 7, 2020 by 5:00 pm local time in Dar es Salaam to the following addresses:
Note: “Consultancy to develop a Strategic Plan for TFC” should be stated in the email subject heading
Application materials include:
· A cover letter outlining motivation and summarizing relevant experience
· Suggestions for modifying the outlined approach to the assignment to deliver more effectively (if appropriate)
· Curriculum Vitae with full description of the applicant’s profile and experience
· Contact details from at least two independent references with in-depth and proven knowledge of the applicant’s expertise and relevant work experience
· Completed USAID biodata 1420 form