Food Loss and Waste Consultant – Philippines
Winrock is seeking an individual consultant with experience in the development of the cold chain management sector, preferably in SE Asia. The consultant will support Winrock International to catalyze investment in private sector development. This work is part of the US Department of Agriculture funded Philippine Cold Chain Project (PCCP).
DURATION OF ASSIGNMENT:
Up to 45 days, estimated beginning date on August 15, 2018 and ending by October 30, 2018. Applicants must submit by August 15, 2018.
Butuan, Caraga Region, Philippines
Funded by the US. Department of Agriculture/FAS, PCCP works to increase private sector investment in the commodities of fisheries, livestock and horticulture in Caraga Region, Philippines. PCCP supports both public and private investors to recognize and take advantage of opportunities to develop projects that increase productivity and expand trade. PCCP also support leaders from public, private and civil society in working together to prioritize investments in projects that could have long-term, positive impact for communities and private investors.
Applicants should go to Jobs page at http://www.winrock.org/join-us/careers/ to submit their application, cover letter and current resume.
Winrock International is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. EOE/AA
Winrock is seeking an individual consultant with experience in the development of the cold chain management sector in SE Asia. The individual should have experience working with high-value horticulture, aquaculture, and livestock products, and have a solid understanding of:
• Food loss and waste methodology and implementing activities
• Mapping the food supply chains and identify steps in the chain where food losses are likely to be high and have the highest impact
• Collecting and analyzing primary data and information using survey and sampling methods
• Develop a Food Loss and Waste methodology and plan based on the 4S approach (four steps) outlined by FAO (www.fao.org/publications)
• Assemble and review technical information/ literature, as well as recent economic information pertinent to Mindanao and other areas of the Philippines in the context of food loss and waste.
• Identify what additional and/or new information the survey and analysis will provide on food loss and waste.
• Select supply chains based on those indicated above and justify the reasons for selection, including seasonality of supply, importance of products in value, availability of products, contributions to food loss and waste, and the ability to map these products through complete food supply chains from farm to fork.
• Map the food supply chains and identify steps in the chains where food losses are likely to be high or have the highest impact.
• Assess the role of gender in food loss and waste, in terms of transactions and operations performed
• Determine the technical aspects of the various supply chain operations, assess the level of quantitative and qualitative food losses along the chains, the frequency of occurrence and identify their causes.
• Outline a draft food loss reduction strategy, food loss and waste management proposals including resources and means, actors and approach and with reference to cold chain needs and challenges. Identify short term (<3 months) medium term (3-6months) and longer term (>12 months) proposals
• Represent Winrock International and PCCP with highest degree of professionalism
Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Background:
PhD is preferred but not required.
Experience, Skills, and Knowledge:
Must have experience working with cold chain management (chilled and frozen), food processing industry in SE Asia. Must have experience carrying out research in the food industry and preferably knowledge of the supply chain and food safety standards for high-value horticulture, livestock and aquaculture products in SE Asia.