Winrock International is a non-profit organization that works with people around the world to increase economic opportunity, sustain natural resources, and protect the environment. Winrock is currently recruiting for the position of full-time Food Security and Agronomy Specialist in its Tamale project office to support the five-year, USAID-funded Feed the Future Ghana Agriculture and Natural Resources Management Project (USAID AgNRM). The USAID AgNRM project seeks to provide a scalable, integrated landscape approach that will support sustainable economic development and rural livelihoods, increase nutrition and climate change adaptation, and strengthen Northern Ghana’s natural resources.
Location: Tamale, Ghana
Position Title: Food Security and Agronomy Specialist
Status: Full time
Reports to: Chief of Party
All interested candidates shall submit their applications (maximum 5 pages including resume, two references and one-page cover letter) by e-mail in English to: Ghana.Recruitment@winrock.org, indicating “Food Security and Agronomy Specialist” in the subject line. Qualified applicants must be willing to relocate to Tamale, Ghana. Local Ghanaians and women are encouraged to apply.
The Food Security and Agronomy Specialist will play a leadership role on the USAID-funded Feed the Future Agriculture and Natural Resource Management project in Ghana. This project is a $25 million dollar, five-year project focused in the Northern, Upper East and Upper West regions of Ghana. The project will improve incomes and nutrition while addressing holistically the related challenges of the environment, agriculture, governance and NRM.
- Under the supervision of the Chief of Party and Deputy Chief of Party, lead improved food and nutritional security activities focused on climate smart agriculture, agroforestry, soil and water management, and farm enterprise innovations for better nutrition and food security in the Northern Ghana AgNRM project, and coordinate the activities with other technical project activities.
- Ensure food security activities are well-designed by taking an active role in project work planning, and carry out the implementation these activities.
- Play a lead role coordinating with identified communities, government and private sector partners on agricultural innovations in line with the above.
- Manage a field team of over 10 staff for the successful implementation of all activities related to improved food and nutritional security.
- Supervise project site level implementation of project food security activities. This will require local travel.
- Provide writing and data inputs to project reports on a regular basis.
- Anticipate challenges in project implementation, identify solutions, and work with the team in problem-solving.
- Other duties as assigned.
Qualifications and Background:
- Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Agricultural Business or related fields.
- Minimum seven years of professional experience in food security and agronomic approaches in the agricultural and natural resources sectors, including agriculture research, livestock experience, and extension/education experience.
- Experience in M&E in agriculture/food security projects.
- Experience facilitating relationships between private sector and government.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Strong skills in technical knowledge of food security in northern Ghana.
- Ability to work well within a team and take responsibility to deliver results.
- Ability to maintain the highest ethical standards at all times.
- Excel at fostering private sector partnerships to strengthen agronomic systems of rural communities.
- Fluency in English and strong written English is required.