Summary of Position
Version Date: December 22, 2017
Position: GBA Communications Specialist
Location: Washington DC
Reporting to: EPIC Communications Portfolio Manager
Training Resources Group, Inc. (TRG) is recruiting for a Communications Specialist to support The Global Book Alliance (GBA). The position will work remotely with occasional in-person meetings with USAID’s Office of Education (ED), which is an office in USAID’s Bureau for Education, Environment, and Economic Growth (E3). The USAID Office of Education is responsible for advancing the goals of the USAID Education Strategy: a) Improved reading skills in primary grades, b) Improved ability of tertiary and workforce development programs to generate workforce skills relevant to a country’s development goals, and c) Increased equitable access to education in crisis and conflict environments.
USAID’s Office of Education, in partnership with other development partners, is playing a lead role in establishing a global alliance to transform the development, procurement, distribution, and use of books supporting early grade reading at a global level. This initiative is called the Global Book Alliance (GBA). The GBA originated as a joint idea between the Global Partnership for Education and USAID and has evolved over the past few years to include more than thirty organizations, including bilaterals, multilaterals, private sector organizations, non-governmental organizations (NGOs) and others, such as the Association for the Development of Education in Africa (ADEA). It is inspired by the experiences of the health, agriculture and other sectors in reforming commodity research & development, procurement, financing and supply chains to increase quality, decrease unit costs and increase access to key commodities. The GBA Communications Specialist will work with USAID’s Reading team and GBA Advisor and be supervised by the EPIC Communications Portfolio Manager at Training Resources Group. The GBA Communications Specialist also will coordinate with the E3/Education Engagement Team on the development and implementation of activities. It is expected that the Communications Specialist will participate in assignments in support of the GBA Steering Committee and USAID’s role as a GBA member, which may include collaboration with USAID’s Regional Bureaus, Missions, and other GBA members.
The GBA Communications Specialist will support the GBA Advisor in promoting GBA initiatives and in facilitating related communications between GBA members and stakeholders including organizations, governments, missions, and publishers. This will include, but is not limited to: 1) promotion of the launch of a new GBA strategy and flagship initiatives; 2) promotion of the launch of GBA’s Global Digital Library initiative; 3) facilitate communications of GBA’s Publishers Collaborative initiative; and 4) facilitate GBA member collaboration around pilot programs in several countries. This is a limited term position (50% time concluding Sept 30, 2018) with the possibility of extension.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
Communications Support to Programs or Projects
- Develop and update communications strategy for the Global Book Alliance
- Coordinate with the Engagement Team on implementation of communications products, especially those supported through the EPIC contract
- Develop talking points, briefers, press releases and other communications materials on the activities, initiatives, and goals of the Global Book Alliance
- Generate stories/narratives in written and video form to illustrate the impact of the GBA’s work
- Facilitate communications between members and committees of the alliance and other contractors supporting the alliance’s work
- Provide outreach, coordination and support to the GBA for all interactions with the press, with an aim of increasing awareness of the Global Book Alliance and its work
- Ensures that all communications materials conform to the standard look and feel of the Global Book Alliance brand
- Support the team in planning and carrying out both large and small-scale events
- Take the lead on making updates to the GBA website
Knowledge management and communication
- Lead the team’s efforts to disseminate and promote knowledge products related to the initiatives of the GBA, ensuring coherence of messaging across communications channels
- Work with the Engagement Team to create products that clearly link investments in the book chain to cost effective improvements in reading outcomes.
- Seek and capitalize on opportunities to attract partners to support the GBA by promoting the work and progress of the Alliance in high-level fora as appropriate and approved
- Participate in team efforts to represent the agency’s work on the Global Book Alliance to constituents on the Hill or elsewhere in government
- Develop and update articles, brochures, press kits, fact sheets, feature stories, background statements, and other materials communicating the GBA’s work.
- Establishes and maintains a social media presence for the Global Book Alliance.
- Collaborate with appropriate representatives from E3/Education Office
- Bachelor’s degree in communications or related field; Master’s degree preferred.
- At least 3 years of experience in communications in the field of international development, with work in international education preferred
- Experience developing messaging for key audiences, including the press, potential partners, and policy makers (both within and outside the United States)
- Experience crafting press releases, talking points, briefers, and other key communications pieces.
- Knowledge of the work of USAID’s Office of Education
- Strong organizational and analytical skills; detail-oriented; ability to multi-task and prioritize tasks; and able to learn quickly under pressure
- Superb writing and speaking skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; able to successfully and effectively liaise with people within and across departments in a multicultural environment; confident communicator with proven negotiation skills
- Ability to work independently, resourcefully, and with flexibility
- Advanced skills in MS Word, Excel, social media platforms and other products and applications, including website development.
Interested applicants may send their resume to firstname.lastname@example.org.