FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology — creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today’s interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories. We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of: Gender Advisor.
The Gender Advisor leads the integration of gender sensitive programming elements in accordance with global best practice, donor requirements and FHI 360 requirements. The Gender Advisor participates in strategy, program implementation, program monitoring, evaluation in relation to gender integration in the project that is focused on i nutrition sensitive and nutrition specific interventions at the community and household level. This include capacity building and technical assistance to government, civil society and community stakeholders. This position will be based in Lilongwe, Malawi.
Job Summary / Responsibilities:
- Provide technical leadership to the Project to ensure integration of gender in program interventions focused on nutrition, agriculture and livelihoods.
- Design and deliver realistic and pragmatic gender strategies and programming interventions that will lead to positive gender equality outcomes.
- Integrate gender equality considerations in Results-Based Management monitoring and reporting methods.
- Track and report against gender indicators and disaggregate data by gender to analyze results within each domain.
- Conduct gender assessments, reviews and audits to assess ways to continually target involvement of women in nutrition sensitive and nutrition specific activities.
- Review and provide technical feedback on results and project reports to donors in order to ensure quality and full compliance with gender policy and progress towards achieving integration of gender in program.
- Advise and support the Programs and Partners to integrate gender into activities
- Develop tools, frameworks and resources to enable better gender integration in the Project.
- Identify successful practices in the project that can be showcased in publications, communication materials and conferences.
- Prepare communications materials that highlight the Project’s gender equality programming, successes and lesssons learnt.
MENTAL AND PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS: KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Experience and demonstrated results in integration of gender in programming
- Knowledge of and experience with the design, management and implementation of nutrition, agriculture and livelihood programs.
- Sensitivity to cultural differences and understanding of the socio-economic and political situation in Malawi and gender sensitive programming.
- Ability to organize systems to monitor results.
- Well-developed written and oral communication skills.
- Ability to work well with others and to develop and maintain compatibility among project staff, subcontractors, consultants, and recipients of assistance.
- Ability to travel as needed.
- A Master’s Degree or higher in the relevant subject area(s), preferably in Gender, Social Work, Public Health, International development, or Community Development, is required.
- A Proven record of excellent management, leadership, decision-making and interpersonal skills.
- Demonstrated ability to ensure gender integration in project design, implementation and ME.
- Effective English oral and written communication skills; ability to interact professionally in English.
- Ability to navigate politically sensitive terrain and maintain constructive relationships with a diverse set of key stakeholders;
- Demonstrated ability to think strategically and transmit his/her vision to partners and colleagues.
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
We offer competitive compensation and an outstanding benefit package. Please click here to visit FHI 360’s Career Center for a list of all open positions.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. FHI 360 is committed to providing equal employment opportunity without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, disability or status as a veteran with respect to policies, programs, or activities.
About the Organization
FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in Health, Education, Nutrition, Environment, Economic Development, Civil Society, Gender, Youth, Research and Technology– creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 60 countries, all 50 U.S. states and all U.S. territories.