Job DescriptionJob Summary:
The Gender Advisor in the Technical Support Division in GHPN will provide high quality gender technical assistance in proposals and projects in health, with a focus on HIV prevention, care and treatment, orphans and vulnerable children (OVC) care and support and non-communicable diseases (NCDs). It is anticipated that approximately 70% of the Gender Advisor’s level of effort will support business development and 30% will support project implementation..
Support proposal teams to integrate approaches to address gender inequality into FHI 360 health proposals.
- Provide capture support
- Conduct rapid gender and social inclusion analysis
- Participate in design sessions of proposal
- Support recruitment of project level gender specialist
- Write job descriptions
- Review CVs
- Participate in interviews
- Write sections of proposal related to gender
- Build out proposal level gender strategy and approaches
Pursue new business in gender-specific technical areas, such as gender-based violence
- Identify opportunities to grow gender-based violence portfolio
- Lead or co-lead proposal development
- Find relevant local partners
Provide gender technical assistance to health-related projects in GHPN
- Train project teams on gender analysis, strategy development and gender integration
- Conduct gender analyses across a range of health programs including family planning, HIV care and treatment, OVC, NCDs, nutrition, and adolescent, male engagement, and key population-focused interventions and submit reports
- Create and support implementation of project gender strategies
- Support and provide capacity building to local technical staff, especially project-based gender specialists
- Design and implement other gender and/or GBV-related activities at the project level, as needed, such as:
- development of curricula and training modules
- develop methodologies to increase awareness at all levels on importance of formative integration of gender perspective into proposals and program interventions; and of routinely including gender topics in SBC strategies and activities that support core technical interventions
- mid- and end of project assessments
- Technical quality assessments
- Liaise with donor, as needed.
- Conduct short- and long- term travel to project sites, as needed
Work closely with gender specialists at project level to build capacity, provide mentoring and professional development, and generally support their work and activities
Applied Knowledge & Skills:
Problem Solving & Impact:
- Ensures appropriate and timely technical support to field programs.
- Ensures the quality of implemented technical activities and systems at all levels.
- Conducts routine coordination with employees and consultants, on-site and in the field.
- Strong knowledge and skills in specific technical area/function and general understanding of concepts and principles of related technical areas/functions.
- Solid knowledge of standards for the technical area/field, operational processes and procedures, work and task flow.
- Ability to manage own work to job and performance standards.
- Demonstrates ability to assess needs within agreed upon duties and considers course of action best to meet those needs.
- Effectively applies knowledge of technical area to solve range of problems.
- Demonstrates ability to develop solutions to problems that cannot be solved using existing methods or approaches.
- Coordinates own work flow and sets individual priorities.
- Master’s Degree or its International Equivalent in Public Health.
- Prefer at least 7 years of experience in international public health.
- Typically requires 5-8 years of relevant experience in management of large projects and/or programs.
- Extensive knowledge and experience in gender, including conducting gender analysis, developing gender strategies and gender integration.
- Informed of current program developments in gender technical area.
- Demonstrated experience with business development, including contributing to the design of technical proposals.
- Ability to set realistic priorities, and plan for the successful implementation of activities.
- Experience in specialized technical field of study preferred, such as gender-based violence, family planning, infectious diseases, HIV, reproductive health, nutrition, malaria, etc.
- Familiarity with donor (e.g. USAID) gender frameworks and strategies
This job description summarizes the main duties of the job. It neither prescribes nor restricts the exact tasks that may be assigned to carry out these duties. This document should not be construed in any way to represent a contract of employment. Management reserves the right to review and revise this document at any time.
FHI 360 fosters the strength and health of its workforce through a competitive benefits package, professional development and policies and programs that support healthy work/life balance. Join our global workforce to make a positive difference for others — and yourself.
Please click here to continue searching FHI 360’s Career Portal.
FHI 360 is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer. FHI 360 is an equal employment and affirmative action employer whereby we do not engage in practices that discriminate against any person employed or seeking employment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, national or ethnic origin, age, marital status, disability, veteran status, genetic information or any other status or characteristic protected under applicable law.
About the Organization
About FHI 360: FHI 360 is a nonprofit human development organization dedicated to improving lives in lasting ways by advancing integrated, locally driven solutions. Our staff includes experts in health, education, nutrition, environment, economic development, civil society, gender, youth, research and technology — creating a unique mix of capabilities to address today's interrelated development challenges. FHI 360 serves more than 70 countries and all U.S. states and territories. We are currently seeking qualified candidates for the position of: Gender Advisor