Position: GENDER ANALYSIS - TECHNICAL ADVISOR/CONSULTANT
Location: COX BAZAR, BANGLADESH.
Duration: 30 DAYS
Reports to: PROGRAM MANAGER
Program Summary: The overarching program objective is to reduce the risk of conflict in Cox’s Bazar by creating sustainable, market oriented resilient livelihood opportunities for HCs and creating an enabling environment for social cohesion to occur. The program aims to concurrently address prevalent gender inequities, in particular the lack of access to livelihoods opportunities faced by women and girls. This will be accomplished by addressing key drivers of tension, namely competition over economic opportunities and negative perceptions of Rohingya putting a burden on social services. Working in an innovative, adaptable and collaborative way, YES will engage and strengthen local civil society to address the issues, frustrations and challenges currently faced by HC youth. Gender-responsive approaches will be systematically integrated throughout the program, enabling equitable access to activities for male and female youth, as well as looking at advancing gender equality, and promoting the equal rights to vocational training and economic empowerment for girls and boys. Gender specific considerations have always been an explicit goal of USAID/Bangladesh democracy and governance activities. USAID’s commitment to advance gender equality and pursue gender as a key development issue as per Gender Equality and Female Empowerment Policy (https://www.usaid.gov/sites/default/files/documents/1865/GenderEqualityPolicy_0.pdf) and ADS 205 (https://www.usaid.gov/sites/default/files/documents/1870/205.pdf) should be fully reflected in this activity. In accordance with ADS 201.3.8, this program will ensure that gender sensitive activities are implemented throughout the life of the activity.
Position Summary: The incumbent will have to initiate at the beginning of the implementation, and undertake the Gender Analysis under the USAID’s YES Activity to identify gender gaps in each of the IR’s Outcomes, and ensure inclusion of context specific suitable measures to reduce identified gaps, as well as ensure that proposed activities are equally accessible to men, women, and youth irrespective of their age, health condition, religious beliefs, ethnic and other identities, and geographic location. The activity will also promote culturally-sensitive inclusive approach for ensuring participation of all citizens.
The incumbent will have to draft the report upto the level of satisfaction of USAID considering their mandates, priorities and prescribed norms. Therefore, the incumbent needs to map expectation with USAID during initial meeting and ensure all those expectation are met through the intellectual product in the form of ‘Gender Analysis’.
Scope of Work: The Project intends to hire a consultant (national/international) to lead the study. The consultant will be responsible to guide Gender Analysis with the field staff & partners, undertake desk reviews and support formulation of gender streamlining actions that the program can incorporate in activities & MEL (as indicator/s) to monitor/evaluate. He/she will take a lead role in the completion of the Gender Analysis and development of the aligned Action Plan to be implemented by the project. He/she will spend time to get well with the versed the project’s TOC and proposed RI’s outcomes and activities as well as the context of the target communities and to use the new understanding to focus the analysis on the key gender questions relevant to realizing project outcomes.
Specifically, he/she will in person ensure that the Gender Analysis is done as per the USAID guidelines and recommendations are duly incorporated in all the activities contributing to RI’s outcomes.
The Gender Analysis has been given extreme importance in USAID’s YES Activity in order to ensure appropriate measures to address gender gaps identified in the IRs Outcome level and develop gender sensitive indicators to measure gender related changes and outcome as per GEFE policy (of USAID). To the greatest extent practical, monitoring and reporting on the activity impact on beneficiaries should be disaggregated by sex, gender identities and demonstrate reduction of gender gaps. The GA is also necessary to understand the needs of women and men, girls and boys at the community level and to ensure that the program take actions to address these issues accordingly. Through this analysis, gender relations within a community, along with issues and barriers facing women will be systematically analyzed to identify the need-based actions to be addressed.
The overarching program objective is to reduce the risk of conflict in Cox’s Bazar by creating sustainable, market oriented resilient livelihood opportunities for HCs.
Consultancy Deliverables: USAID’s YES Activity Program approach to gender integration will be informed by a multi-level gender analysis. The gender analysis will be designed to answer the following questions, adapted from USAID’s guidelines:
- How will the roles and status of women and men, girls and boys affect the project activities, at the levels of the household, community, economic activities, conflict sensitivity, social cohesion and governance?
- How will the expected project results affect women and men, girls and boys in different ways?
- How will the proposed results affect the relationships between men and women, boys and girls?
- What are the opportunities to transform unequal gender practices and beliefs throughout the project?
- Finally, how will the gender streamlining components be incorporated in every activities leading to RI’s outcomes as proposed in USAID’s YES Activity.
- What are the key gender streamlining OVI’s may be used for MEL and CLA purpose?
The gender analysis will focus on identifying OVIs (objectively verifiable indicators) for RI’s outcomes as proposed in the project, and how those areas relate to the key project activities on livelihoods, conflict sensitivity, resilience and cohesion.
The incumbent is expected to develop detailed Work-plan, strategy and framework in coordination & agreement with USAID and RI.
Tasks and Deliverables: Specific deliverables would be
a. Work plan & GA Framework (08 days) that includes Detailed work-plan including primary and secondary research and analysis methodologies, Tool guides, Instruments/formats, training materials, (to be translated into Bangla). Analysis framework and report outline (in coordination & agreement with USAID), provided to the RI Program team.
b. Draft Gender Analysis (06 days): The draft gender analysis will be completed within 13 calendar days, in both hard and electronic versions, after the start of the consultancy. An oral debriefing will also be scheduled with RI team and USAID.
c. Final Gender Analysis (05 days): A final gender analysis will be completed within next five days (18 calendar days) after the final review and submission of comments by RI and USAID in Bangladesh. The final gender analysis also includes a comprehensive annotated bibliography.
d. Recommended to the ToC (02 days): After completing the gender analysis the consultant will suggest (if any) significant amendments to the logic presented in the project’s TOC (adaptation and or amendments) and what that would translate to in terms of activities and approaches in each RI’s outcomes, with clarity on qualitative and quantitative OVIs (Objectively Verifiable Indicators), in MEL framework. A joint orientation work-shop with the project implementation team will be moderated by the consultant to ensure thorough discussion and adaptation of recommendations.
Qualifications & requirements:
This position demands a dynamic individual with a demonstrated ability to achieve results in a demanding and fast paced environment.
- Master’s degree in a relevant field or Bachelors degree with commensurate work experience;
- Minimum of five years professional experience in leading Gender Analysis or similar kind of research/studies preferably in Bangladesh in a conflict sensitive setting;
- Good analytical and problem-solving skills
- Must be detail oriented;
- Excellent interpersonal, communication, public speaking, and strategic planning skills required;
- Strong English skills, speaking, reading, writing are required;
- Excellent time management skills;
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills. Ability to think critically and creatively;
- Excellent interpersonal skills, including patience, diplomacy, willingness to listen and respect for colleagues.
- Must be capable of working both individually and as part of a team;
- Ability to work effectively in a fast-paced, stressful environment.
- Must be flexible, willing to perform other duties and work irregular hours.
- Demonstrated ability to work and manage across multi-functional units
- Organized and able to independently manage multiple projects under strict deadlines
- Proven ability to understand, streamline and automate complex processes
- Cultural awareness and ability to work well in an international environment with people from diverse backgrounds and cultures.
- Excellent analytical and organizational skills.
- Ability to think critically and creatively;
- Must be capable of working both individually and as part of a team;
Relief International’s Values: We uphold the Humanitarian Principles: humanity, neutrality, impartiality and operational independence. We affirmatively engage the most vulnerable communities.
- Transparency and accountability
- Agility and innovation