This is an anticipated USAID-funded Basic Education project in the Philippines. This activity will work with the Philippine Department of Education (DepEd) to improve early-grade reading outcomes through improved reading instruction and delivery systems, improved access to quality materials, and increased community involvement.
The Gender and Inclusion Specialist will provide technical leadership on the inclusion of women, girls, students with disabilities, and students from disadvantaged populations in project activities, as well as the equal engagement of boys and girls in the classroom. The Gender and Inclusion Specialist will coordinate with the senior management and technical teams to ensure that project activities are implemented in accordance with established standards and recognized best practices, and comply with USAID regulations, local law, and Creative policies.
Reporting & Supervision:
The Gender and Inclusion Specialist will report to the Senior Reading Specialist.
- Develop and introduce gender and inclusivity standards to the team and partners;
- Oversee the inclusion of women, girls, students with disabilities, and students from disadvantaged populations in project activities, ensuring activities include strategies to encourage their participation;
- Ensure that project activities reinforce, and incorporate appropriate strategies to support, the equal engagement of boys and girls in the classroom;
- Identify and provide technical assistance and training to partners in the preparation, roll-out and implementation of project activities;
- Coordinate with technical teams and implementing partners on the cross-cutting integration of gender and inclusion to ensure gender sensitivity, local ownership, sustainability, flexibility of scale, partnering and coordination, and cultural and geographic considerations are promoted and adhered to throughout the project;
- Liaise with relevant key stakeholders, including DepEd, to share lessons learned and best practices from the project; and
- Collaborate with the Monitoring & Evaluation (M&E) team to ensure coherence between M&E approaches to successfully monitor program progress, provide on-going analysis, necessary corrective action and create a culture of learning within the program.
Required Skills & Qualifications:
- Minimum of a bachelor’s degree in education, international development, or a related field;
- At least five (5) years of experience managing and implementing education, inclusive education and/or gender programs;
- Demonstrated experience in providing technical assistance to the education system in the Philippines;
- Demonstrated experience in designing and implementing gender and inclusion activities;
- Experience with USAID-funded programs preferred; and
- Proficiency in written and spoken English required; proficiency in Filipino desirable, but not required.
Desired Skills & Qualifications:
- Preferably experience working in a fragile or transitional state environment or security-challenged environments;
- Master’s degree in education, gender studies, public administration, or other related field is highly preferred; and
- Previous experience working in Southeast Asia is desirable but not required; experience working in Philippines is highly desirable, but not required.
Local candidates are strongly encouraged to apply
Position contingent upon donor funding.
About the Organization
Creative Associates International is a dynamic, fast-growing global development firm that specializes in education, economic growth, democratic development and post-crisis stabilization. Based in Washington, D.C., Creative has a field presence in more than 25 countries with a strong client portfolio that includes the U.S. Agency for International Development and the State Department, among others. Since its founding in 1977, Creative has earned a solid reputation among its clients and is well-regarded by competitors and partners alike.