The Gender and Protection Coordinator - Cabo Delgado (GPC) is responsible for the overall direction and performance of the Gender and Protection program portfolio in Cabo Delgado Province. The range of duties include playing a critical role in defining the sector’s programs principles, objectives and operational strategies; setting standards for project implementation, monitoring and evaluation; overseeing project planning and budgeting; giving technical assistance to staff (or recruiting and hiring specialists as needed for various projects); ensuring collaboration with counterpart agencies; representing the CO (Country Office) to external organizations. The GPC will be responsible for new project development starting with the identification of program initiatives appropriate to both the sector and couny strategies, all the way through submission of quality proposals. The GPC will assure collaboration and synergies among projects within the sector as well as between this sector and the WASH (Water, Sanitation and Hygiene), Cash and Livelihoods, Shelter, Food and NFI (Non Food Items) sectors. The GPC will provide management over-site and have final responsibility for the implementation of all Gender and Protection focused projects in the Cabo Delgado response.
- Supervise, lead, guide, support and manage Project Officers and other direct reports, thereby enabling them to fulfill their roles and responsibilities in an effective and efficient manner.
- Assure timely and quality recruitment, induction, coaching and mentoring of high caliber Gender and Protection staff in a challenging work environment
- Encourage and model continued learning and professional development.
- Promote gender equity and diversity by encouraging a gender responsive work environment and conducting gender equitable staff recruitment.
- Model and promote the proper implementation of CARE’s performance management system for direct reports, including job descriptions and work plan development, regular feedback, mid-term reviews and annual performance appraisals.
- Ensure adequate and strong working relationships between project team member and other field staff
Program quality and implementation
- Provide key technical leadership and guidance in the development, implementation, monitoring and learning from Gender and Protection projects and programs.
- Coordinate and lead activities to ensure effective use of time and resources, which includes regular field visits.
- Cultivate cross-programmatic synergies with other sectors such as Shelter, Food, NFIs Cash and Livelihood, WASH, etc.
- Supervise and lead the implementation of grants and project activities to assure timely and quality achievement of goals and objectives of the projects and within budget constraints.
- Ensure project data and information collected are analyzed in timely and quality manner, and made accessible to donors and management in a form usable for decision making.
- Ensure quality narrative and financial reports, and other internal and external requirements are handed in on time and in sync with CARE and donor requirements.
- Coordinate with donors/partners/staff to facilitate effective implementation of activities.
- Facilitate cross learning and seek opportunities for innovation and personal growth through reflective practice and learning at all levels.
- Work closely with units in Program Support (finance, procurement, HR, logistics, etc.) to ensure proper coordination exists for efficient program implementation.
- Collaborate actively with program teams in cross sectorial program design processes.
- Assure that concept notes and proposal meet individual donor requirements for the Gender and Protection Sectors.
- Lead and support the implementation of positioning strategies for CARE, including the cultivation of partners, events, publications / materials, etc.
- Ensure systems and staff are in place to guarantee that CO programs/projects are designed and implemented based on sound analysis, address the underlying causes of poverty and are in line with CI (CARE International) Programming Principles.
- Coordinate with program support and finance to ensure adequate budgeting for new initiatives.
- Serve as the focal point for donor liaison, in technical areas of Gender and Protection, in close collaboration with senior management.
- Provide support in negotiation and review of funding contracts.
- Coordinate external technical assistance and draw on the resources of program support in new program development exercises.
- Coordinate with other sectors to ensure collaboration and ensure that crosscutting issues such as protection, gender, conflict sensitive programming, etc. are factored into the design of new programs.
External relationships and partnerships
- Represent CARE at the relevant sector fora, conferences, and high-level meetings.
- Seek support of technical assistance from relevant technical units at CARE USA or other CARE international partners, as needed
- Establish and maintain good relationships with relevant – counterparts/departments of the government, CI members, the locally-represented multi/bi-lateral donors, foundations, international and national NGOs, CBOs and other civil society organizations.
- Support and work effectively in coalitions, networks and social movements.
- Ensure timely reporting and communications with CI members, donors, government and other key actors.
- Advanced degree in relevant subject area 5 + years technical experience.
- Bachelor degree 7 years + technical experience.
- Gender and Protection technical knowledge of Sphere minimum standards and best practices.
- 3 years Gender and Protection project management experience in emergency context
- Minimum 5 years progressive experience in mid-level management positions with team management or supervision responsibilities;
- Fluency in spoken and written English
- Fluency/ Working knowledge in Portuguese would be an added advantage.
About the Organization
CARE is an international NGO with local staff and community partners in more than 90 countries. We create local solutions to poverty and inequality and we seek dignity for everyone every day and during times of crisis. These solutions have a broad range, from clean water to access to education; from microfinance to ensuring that everyone has nutritious food; from agriculture and climate change to disaster response. CARE puts women and girls at the center of everything we do because they have proven to be the best hope for creating lasting change in the world. Our staff live where they work, which makes us effective at understanding the challenges they face. We’ve been doing this for over 70 years, since World War II. It started with the world’s first CARE Package® of food for the post-war hungry in Europe. Our work today is as important as ever, we believe that poverty and inequality are historic injustices that we can end within a generation, for good. If you share our core beliefs: poverty is an injustice; poverty is solvable; and together, we have the power to end it, join us, and fight with CARE.
There are individuals who may use CARE’s name and trademark in emails and on websites in an attempt to solicit fees from interested job-seekers. Some examples of these fees are placement fees or immigration processing fees. CARE does not use recruiting or placement agencies that charge candidates an up-front fee of any kind. Occasionally, CARE does employ recruiting or placement agencies to help us identify candidates for specific employment within CARE. If you’re contacted by a legitimate recruiting or placement agency, there should be no charge to you. If you suspect that you have been a victim of fraud from someone purporting to be CARE, please contact us at email@example.com.
We provide equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and qualified applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity, ancestry, sexual orientation, national origin, age, handicap, disability, marital status, or status as a veteran. If you’d like more information about your EEO rights as an applicant under the law, please click here.