Job Title: Technical Advisor I – Gender and Protection
Reports To: Head of Programs
Country/Location: Juba/South Sudan
As the newest country in the world, South Sudan continues to struggle amidst the challenges that accompany the complex process of nation-building. While the Comprehensive Peace Agreement (2005) and subsequent Referendum for Self Determination (2011) helped establish South Sudan as a sovereign state, they only created a framework for dealing with one of South Sudan’s numerous conflicts and development issues. CRS has a critical role to help the country move forward given its history in the country since 1983 and amidst an environment where the Church enjoys high regard among its citizens and Government. The Country Program currently manages a total programming budget of $45 million, the largest program being a Title II Food Security program in Jonglei State. Other donors include WFP, USAID, OFDA, FFP, the UK Foreign Commonwealth Office, and emergency funding from CRS and other Caritas private donors. Key program sectors include Food Security, Livelihoods, Nutrition, WASH, Emergency Response, Health, Peacebuilding and Microfinance. CRS has over 600 staff that either work in Juba or in one of the 10 sub-offices located in Lakes, Jonglei, Western and Eastern Equatoria states.
You will provide technical advice and support to Country Program (CP) teams on a range of program design and implementation issues in the area of Gender and Protection, in line with CRS’ program quality principles and standards, donor guidelines, and industry best practices to advance the delivery of high-quality programming to the poor and vulnerable. Your advice, knowledge, and support will contribute to determining how effective, adaptive, and innovative CRS’ Gender and Protection programming is across the globe.
Typical Background, Experience & Requirements:
Education and Experience
* Master’s Degree in Social Sciences, International Development, or related field. Experience in implementing Gender and Protection mainstreaming activities/programming required.
* Minimum of three years relevant work experience with progressive responsibilities, ideally with an international NGO. Minimum of two years relevant field-based experience in either Gender or Protection, preferably in a conflict setting.
* Knowledge of technical principles and concepts in Gender and Protection, general knowledge of other related disciplines to ensure proper cross-sectoral approach.
* Experience in project design and proposal development. Experience in writing content for proposals.
* Knowledge of capacity-strengthening best practices.
* Experience with program monitoring, evaluation, and analysis.
* Experience and skills in networking and relations with donors, peer organizations, faith-based and civil society partners. Understanding of partnership principles.
* Proficient in MS Office packages (Excel, Word, PowerPoint), web conferencing applications, information and budget management systems, and knowledge-sharing networks.
Travel Required: Willingness to travel 50% of the time to remote areas of the country
Agency-wide Competencies (for all CRS Staff):
These are rooted in the mission, values, and guiding principles of CRS and used by each staff member to fulfill his or her responsibilities and achieve the desired results.
* Trusting Relationships
* Professional Growth
* Communicates strategically under pressure
* Manages stress and complexity
* Actively promotes safety and security
* Manages and implements high-quality emergency programs
CRS’ talent acquisition procedures reflect our commitment to protecting children and vulnerable adults from abuse and exploitation.
Equal Opportunity Employer
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.
Location(s): South Sudan - Central Equatoria - Juba