Cardno is currently seeking both mid-level and experienced short-term Gender and Social Inclusion (GSI) Experts with expertise in the transport sector. GSI experts will support the development of compacts and threshold programs in the areas of gender, social inclusion and poverty reduction. GSI experts will provide long, medium and short term support to inclusion analyses, design of GSI activities and support learning and development for GSI on the transport sector overall for transportation projects in Kenya, Malawi, Niger, Benin, Mozambique and Indonesia. Additional countries may be included as countries are selected.
Scope of Work:
Lead or support efforts for completing Early Gender, Poverty, and Social Inclusion Analysis and Design:
- Complete comprehensive social and gender assessments of the transport sector to inform and support program development and design. Design approaches will address affordability, safety, security, dignity and accessibility issues for the poor, women, and other marginalized or vulnerable groups, as well as the particular needs of small and medium enterprises.
- Completing assessments (ESIA), Environment and Social Management Plan (ESMP), resettlement action plans (RAP).
- Support detailed design efforts for proposed GSI activities, Oversee and/or provide guidance to the transport design consultant team to ensure that GSI issues in transport related to affordability, safety, security, dignity and accessibility for women and men, children, people with disabilities and others are integrated where relevant in the development and implementation of the transport projects.
- Developing GSI criteria for public, rural and urban transport systems – depending on the context - using GSI issues (affordability, safety, security, dignity and accessibility for female commuters, children, people with disabilities, elderly).
- Support learning and development for GSI on the transport sector overall, assist GSI in updating internal current transport-related tools. The contractor shall research new and innovative ways to integrate women’s economic empowerment into transport compacts. Support GSI learning on transport data collection, transport-specific cost-benefit analysis, and transport-specific income distributional analysis.
- Contribute to the development and review of MCC and divisional policies and guidance documents.
- Develop knowledge management products for related to transport and GSI. These may be written with or for MCC staff and may include papers, briefs, blogs, or other products on topics related to GSI lessons learned or findings from specific compacts. Present findings resulting from the above tasks
Capacities Required for Consultancy
- Experience as GSI consultant for transportation projects in developing communities, experience working with government entities in the integration of gender considerations into the design, construction, operation and maintenance of public infrastructure.
- Experience with rural and urban transportation networks, experience conducting assessments for inclusion of gender and marginalized persons in transport projects, incorporating safeguards against sexual exploitation and assault and trafficking in persons;
- Experience integrating gender considerations into M&E systems and structures,
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field, minimum 10 years of relevant technical experience for senior experts and 5 years for mid-level experts,
- Experience in gender and/or social inclusion in the transport sector (5+ years for senior, 2+ years for mid-level);
- Experience qualitative and quantitative research studies into gender and transport issues, assessment of gender and social inclusion considerations into program design and implementation of transport projects
- Field experience required, experience working with multi-disciplinary teams
- Strong communications skills and effective report-writing skills;
- Capacity to be original and creative in strategies to integrate gender considerations into non-gender related programming
- Ability and willingness to travel (within COVID-19 travel protocols) as needed.
- Fluency in English. Knowledge of at least one other language preferred for non-English speaking countries;
Capacities Preferred for Consultancy
- Prior experience working with MCC preferred
- Experience using GIS systems and geospatial tools
- Master’s or PhD preferred;
Travel: Remote with travel as required for stakeholder engagement.
Assignment duration: TBD
To apply please submit a CV and one page cover letter in English. Only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted
About the OrganizationCardno Emerging Markets USA, Ltd., is part of Cardno’s Emerging Markets Division with international development assistance companies in Brisbane, Brussels, Jakarta, Melbourne, Nairobi, Oxford, Port Moresby, and Washington, DC. Cardno Emerging Markets USA, Ltd. was formerly Emerging Markets Group, Ltd. and brings nearly a 30-year history serving the objectives of bilateral and multilateral donors and private clients. The Emerging Markets Division brings together a broad range of experience and talent; a rich history of innovation, passion and commitment to international development and an established reputation for high quality demand and client driven services.
Cardno’s Emerging Markets Division manages more than $750 million in current contracts and grants, brings together over 90 years of collective experience, and engages over 3,700 professionals in more than 100 countries. Cardno’s Emerging Markets Division currently implements over 130 projects globally.
More Jobs from this Organization