Banyan Global is an international development consulting firm committed to improving livelihoods through market approaches for a broad and lasting impact. The firm has offices in Washington, DC and New York City and staff working in a number of developing countries. Banyan Global operates seamlessly within six practice areas: health, finance and investment, enterprise development, gender, youth, and evaluation and learning.
Banyan Global is seeking a Kenyan Gender and Youth Specialist based in Nairobi for an upcoming USAID-funded project. Candidates must be Kenyan or from East Africa and have a minimum of 5 years of experience in gender and youth integration, with specific experience integrating gender and youth considerations into agriculture, economic growth, access to finance and enterprise development programs.
- Provide technical leadership to ensure that project activities address gender and youth considerations, and that project activities specifically address the needs of women, men, and female and male youth.
- Ensure that gender and youth are integrated and mainstreamed across the program, including project design, implementation and monitoring, and operations, as well as in staff training materials, policies and procedures.
- Within the scope of the project, provide gender and youth inputs on issues related to agri-businesses, small and medium enterprise (SME) development, and trade.
- Review and provide input to project work plans, with attention to gender and youth dimensions of technical activities and operations, and discuss gender issues and priorities with project senior management and other technical specialists.
- Conduct gender and youth analyses and research on gender norms and constraints in project locations.
- Provide strategic technical guidance on gender and youth integration to key personnel, project staff, government ministries, and project partners and stakeholders.
- Engage available and active women’s and youth networks and organizations in the planning and implementation of project activities.
- Design and facilitate gender and youth trainings for staff, stakeholders, and project clients to ensure that gender and youth considerations are assessed and accounted for.
- Support development of gender and youth monitoring and evaluation indicators for the project.
- Develop appropriate gender and youth resources and tools for project staff.
- Maintain an up-to-date and thorough understanding of gender and youth issues related to project components.
- Draft all gender and youth related project documentation, including work plan inputs and monitoring reporting to USAID.
- Full fluency in English and Swahili.
- Bachelor’s degree in gender studies, international affairs, economic development or another related field.
- Five or more years of experience working in gender and youth integration.
- Experience partnering with government ministries.
- Experience designing and facilitating trainings on gender and youth issues and gender and youth integration processes and techniques.
- Strong negotiations and communications skills, and effective report-writing skills.
- Strong monitoring and evaluation skills, including experience with effective gender and youth indicators and data collection considerations.
- Capacity to be original and creative in strategies to integrate gender and youth considerations into non-gender related programming.
- Strong writer and excellent interpersonal skills.
Salary commensurate with background and experience. Please apply to the position through our website, https://banyanglobal.com/careers/, and include a cover letter and résumé in your submission. Banyan Global is an equal opportunity employer. Deadline for submissions is June 16, 2018. Please no phone calls.
About the Organization
Banyan Global is an international development consulting firm with offices in Washington, DC and staff working in a number of developing countries. Banyan Global operates seamlessly within six practice areas: finance and investment, health, gender, youth, enterprise development, and monitoring and evaluation (M&E).