Banyan Global is seeking a specialist in gender, democracy, and governance for temporary consultancies on a gender-focused USAID task order in Mali titled Sub-National Government Program (SNGP). The objective of SNGP is to advance Mali’s decentralization process by creating and institutionalizing effective financial and asset management procedures, containing corruption, and improving overall operational efficiency in the management of Mali’s financial resources between Bamako and the regions, thus ensuring that public funds intended for decentralized services are delivered effectively and transparently.
The consultant will be a specialist in gender, leadership and governance and will work closely with local and international partners to implement gender and governance related activities. This will include activities around Law 2015-052 on gender quotas to improve the number of qualified women elected to and employed by the Government of Mali. Ideal candidates are Malian nationals with a minimum of 6 years of experience in gender, leadership building and governance. The consultant will be under the supervision of the SNGP Gender Specialist. Duties and responsibilities for the position include:
- Work with local women’s group and SNGP subcontractor, WILDAF, to implement SNGP gender and public financial management activities. Future activities might also include collaboration with SNGP subcontractor GSB (Groupe de Suivi Budgétaire);
- Design and lead trainings on gender-responsive planning and budgeting with a reference to the Strategie Nationale de Planification et de Budgetisation Sensible au Genre;
- Promote identification and synthesis of best practices and lessons learned related to decentralization and the political participation of women and youth civil society leaders;
- Develop and oversee awareness raising campaigns promoting the acceptance and participation of women in politics, including facilitating leadership and electoral code workshops for women;
- Propose strategies for monitoring government services in the health and education sectors, particularly for women, at the regional level;
- Organize and facilitate financial management workshops for territorial authorities;
- Provide regular summary reports to SNGP and Banyan Global staff;
- Travel to project locations in Mali to conduct primary research and data collection;
- Additional activities, events and focus areas to be confirmed at future dates.
- Currently based in Mali;
- 6 or more years of experience working in gender integration, democracy, governance, and women’s empowerment programming;
- Full professional competency in French required, professional competency in English is preferred but certainly not required;
- A strong understanding of issues related to democracy and governance as well as monitoring and evaluation, including experience with effective gender indicators and data collection considerations;
- Experience designing and facilitating trainings with a strong preference for experience related to promoting leadership, democracy, and good governance;
- Preferred experience working on USAID-funded projects;
- Knowledge of Law 2015-052 on gender quotas or gender-responsive planning and budgeting;
- Strong communications and effective report-writing skills;
- Willingness to travel throughout Mali;
- Capacity to be original and creative in strategies to integrate gender considerations into general activity programming.
Please apply to the position through our website, http://www.banyanglobal.com/careers.php, and include a cover letter and résumé in your submission. Please no phone calls.
About the Organization
Banyan Global is a small, women-owned development consulting firm, founded on the principle that integrating expertise and experience from the development community and private sector will achieve a broad and lasting impact. Through market-driven, business approaches, Banyan Global works with the private sector, civil society, and government to improve livelihoods, build markets, and promote efficient resource allocation in developing and transitional economies. Banyan Global operates seamlessly within six practice areas: health sector development, finance and investment, enterprise development, gender, youth, and evaluation and learning. Banyan Global brings together a unique team of professionals with experience in international development and the private sector. Banyan Global provides advisory, policy, and regulatory services, program management, and technical assistance and training, as well as niche gender and post-conflict expertise. Banyan Global's clients include leading bilateral and multilateral donor agencies, regional development banks, foundations, not-for-profit organizations, business, and industry. Banyan Global holds a significant portfolio of subcontracts for USAID-funded work and has worked in more than 38 countries, serving clients in Africa, Asia, Eastern Europe, Latin America, and the Middle East.