EnCompass LLC is seeking a Gender Integration Specialist II to support gender integration and gender-based violence prevention and response in the management and implementation of projects. The incumbent will have expertise in collecting and analyzing data (such as gender analyses and assessments, and implementation research), gender integration, women’s economic empowerment, and GBV prevention and response in programmatic sectors (such as economic growth, energy, agriculture, health, and others). They will have demonstrated work experience implementing USAID- and other donor-funded projects, and supervising headquarters and field-based teams (staff and consultants).
The position is based at EnCompass headquarters, in Rockville, MD.
NOTE: This position is expected to be remote until at least April 1, 2021, due to COVID-19.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
- Provide technical expertise and support in gender integration, women’s economic empowerment, and GBV prevention and response, including design and conducting gender analyses and gender assessments, and implementation research in USAID and other donor-funded projects at global and country levels
- Lead design and management of small or less complex gender and social inclusion contracts and projects, with oversight and mentorship from Senior Gender Specialist or Senior Gender Advisor
- Develop gender and social inclusion analysis plans for large/complex program activities; may develop or review/approve gender analysis plan for smaller/less complex project activities
- Conduct data analyses using gender analysis, social inclusion, and mixed methods research approaches
- Design and facilitate meetings, trainings, and workshops using appreciative, participatory, adult learning, utilization-focused methodologies, and approaches including developing or reviewing macro/micro for virtual and in-person deliveries
- Develop innovative approaches, tools, and learning resources related to gender integration, women’s economic empowerment, and GBV prevention and response, and participate actively in relevant professional (formal and informal) communities
- Prepare high quality reports, technical resources, and other products and deliverables on topics related to gender and inclusive development, technical assistance, and evaluation
- Provide technical guidance and quality control on deliverables, as appropriate
- Conduct field work internationally and domestically, as needed
Project Management and Supervision
- Serve as Project Technical Lead for small/less-complex projects, with oversight and mentorship from Senior Gender Specialist or Senior Gender Advisor
- Serve as Point of Contact for client and manages all client and partner relations Support project management, quality processes and technical assistance
- Coordinate, and serve as point of contact as needed, with partners and field-based staff on design, implementation, and monitoring of project gender integration activities and strategy
- Manage team of EnCompass staff and consultants, including delegating tasks, ensuring timely and quality production, and generating solutions for issues that arise
- Review project budgets, submit to Senior Gender Specialist or Senior Gender Advisor for approval
- Review monthly projections and budget updates with Project Coordinator
- Review and approve internal and external project workplans
- Review and approve monthly internal workplan updates with Project Coordinator, delegating tasks to staff and consultants on the project team
- Review and approve project deliverables
- Review and approve selection of project staff and consultant hires
- Report progress and challenges to TA&Eval and EnCompass leadership
- Submit deliverables for review by Senior Gender Specialist/Senior Gender Advisor
- Monitor the quality and completeness of data for documenting project performance.
- Assist in the development of data summary and project activity reports, including preparation of work plans, and monthly /quarterly / annual reports
- Maintain strong, collaborative, and supportive communications with the field-based staff
- Support recruitment, hiring, and management of staff and consultants (at headquarters and in-country)
- Supervise headquarters and country-based staff and consultants, as needed
- May serve as Technical Lead on smaller/less complex gender and social inclusion proposals in their sectoral area of expertise
- Contribute to technical components of proposals related to gender equality, inclusive development, economic growth, and women’s empowerment
- Participate in new business generation discussions with potential partners and EnCompass staff members
- Contribute to the expansion of EnCompass’ global consultant network by engaging professional fora and identifying potential consultants for proposals and task orders and contracts
- Engage fully as a member of the EnCompass staff team, including participating in staff meetings and other EnCompass events
- May require occasional travel
- Other duties as assigned
- Master’s degree and a minimum of 6 years of experience in economic development, women’s economic empowerment, agriculture, international development, social sciences, or a related field
Experience and Skills
- Experience implementing country-level projects from headquarters, particularly for USAID
- Demonstrated technical expertise in gender integration, women’s economic empowerment, and GBV prevention and response in USAID programs
- Experience in women’s economic empowerment and economic development programming
- At least 2 years’ experience in data collection and analysis, including gender analyses and assessments, and implementation research
- In-depth understanding of international development processes, actors, and client cultures
- Experience in designing and facilitating different types of meetings and workshops using a variety of participatory, adult-learning methodologies and approaches
- Ability to think strategically integrate and synthesize diverse information from varied sources
- Professional level proficiency in Arabic, French, or Spanish is a plus
- Knowledge of or experience in applying appreciative inquiry and participatory approaches highly desirable
- Active engagement with gender equality and inclusive development networks
- Proven experience forming, managing, and participating in successful teams
- Demonstrated experience presenting and facilitating in a variety of fora
- Excellent technical writing skills required
- Experience managing, and supervising in-country staff, and consultants
- Ability to deal sensitively in multi-cultural environments and build effective working relations with clients and colleagues
- Flexibility and ability to travel internationally or domestically for varying lengths of time
- Skilled in word processing, database management, spreadsheets (Excel), and web-based programs
- Strong interpersonal skills and ability to interact with individuals at all levels
- Ability to work in an appreciate and strengths-based environment and coach others in using appreciative approaches
How to Apply
Please submit CV and cover letter with your application.
EnCompass LLC is a progressive Equal Opportunity Employer. We promote, celebrate, and support a diverse and inclusive organizational culture and workforce. We are committed to providing all of our employees with an environment free from discrimination and harassment, where all are treated with dignity and respect. We do not tolerate, and explicitly prohibit, discrimination or harassment of any kind, at any time, in all aspects of employment. This includes recruitment, hiring, promotions, disciplinary measures, terminations, compensation, benefits, social and recreational programs, and training. EnCompass also does not tolerate retaliation against individuals who report discrimination or harassment. Our continuing commitment to the principle of Equal Opportunity Employment for all means all employment decisions are based only on the job requirements, the candidate’s qualifications, and the needs of EnCompass as a business—not on race, color, ethnicity, national origin, religion, belief, sex (including pregnancy and related medical conditions), gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, age, disability status, veteran status, genetic information, HIV status, family/marital/parental status, or any other status protected by the laws and regulations in the jurisdictions where we work.
The employer will make reasonable accommodations in compliance with the Americans with Disabilities Act of 1990.
The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by individuals assigned to this position. They are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all duties, responsibilities, and skills required of personnel so classified.
The incumbent must be able to work in a fast-paced environment with demonstrated ability to juggle and prioritize multiple, competing tasks and demands and to seek supervisory assistance as appropriate.
About the Organization
EnCompass is a women-owned business offering innovative and customized solutions for leadership, capacity strengthening, technical assistance, and monitoring and evaluation. We have experience in more than 70 countries and a team of more than 100 staff and 1,200 experts around the globe.
We partner with government and multilateral agencies, nonprofit organizations, and corporations around the world, offering thought leadership, rich diversity, and technical expertise in global health, inclusive development, education, human rights, and food security.