Are you a feminist interested in helping to promote political participation, justice, and equal rights for women and men around the world? Do you have a passion for gender equality and social justice? Do you have strong writing skills and killer attention to detail? If so, then we are looking for you!
This full-time, paid intern position is an entry level role designed to provide graduate students or recent graduates of undergraduate or graduate programs with an insider’s view of the realm of international development at IFES. Students who participate in this program will develop important professional skills that are essential when job hunting. As a junior member of the team, the intern will provide research, logistical, and administrative support to projects for the Gender Team at IFES.
The general duties of an intern include, but are not limited to:
• Conducting research, including compiling and summarizing research from academic journals and print media.
• Providing logistical and administrative support on assigned projects, including preparing contract materials and booking travel arrangements.
• Assisting in the preparation of external communications materials, as necessary.
• Attending and reporting on internal and external meetings and other discussions.
• Supporting gender business development efforts.Assisting with financial processes, including processing expense reports.
• Maintaining collaborative working relationship with team members and IFES staff.
• Other duties as assigned by team members.
Recent graduate of an undergraduate or graduate program or graduate student currently enrolled at an accredited college/university (concentration in international affairs, political science, or women’s and gender studies preferred). Experience:
Relevant experience, familiarity, or interest in international development or women’s and gender studies preferred. Previous internship(s) experience with an international NGO or gender equality NGO a plus.
Related Skills or Knowledge:
- Passion for gender equality and social justice.
- Excellent research and communication skills.
- Strong problem-solving skills.
- Introductory experience in or familiarity with international development, political science, and/or women’s and gender studies.
- Detail-oriented and organized.
- Ability to prioritize, take direction, and handle varied tasks within deadlines.
- Strong communicator, both verbally and in writing.
- Collaborative, team oriented individual.
- Proficiency with Microsoft Office suite.
- Must be able to work 40 hours per week in Arlington, VA office.
English required, other languages a plus. Work Authorization:
Candidates must be eligible to work in the United States. IFES does not provide sponsorship.
IFES is committed to promoting gender equality.
A society is able to reach its full potential in a world in which men and women are fully engaged as equal partners in their families, workplaces and communities. Based on international human rights standards and best practices, IFES promotes political participation, justice and equal rights for women and men around the world. IFES takes into account the constraints that challenge gender parity, including conflict, transitional institutional developments, socio-economics, and cultural context. This approach assumes that women and men are affected differently by these constraints and that the success of IFES’ work around the world depends on understanding and addressing gender dynamics.
IFES is an equal opportunity employer.
IFES welcomes and supports a diverse, inclusive work environment. As such, our commitment is to promote equal employment opportunities (EEO) for all applicants seeking employment and employees. IFES makes employment decisions based on organizational needs, job requirements and individual qualifications without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, marital status, sexual orientation, personal appearance, military status, gender identity or expression, genetic information, political affiliation, educational status, unemployment status, place of residence or business, source of income, or reproductive health decision making. Additionally, harassment or discrimination based on these characteristics will not be tolerated at IFES. Reasonable accommodations are available to qualified individuals with disabilities and qualified individuals who have limitations due to pregnancy, childbirth, breastfeeding or medical-related conditions.
About the Organization
Vision: Our vision is a world in which strong democratic institutions empower citizens to have a voice in the way they are governed.
Mission: The International Foundation for Electoral Systems (IFES) supports citizens’ rights to participate in free and fair elections. Our independent expertise strengthens electoral systems and builds local capacity to deliver sustainable solutions.
As the global leader in democracy promotion, we advance good governance and democratic rights by:
- Providing technical assistance to election officials
- Empowering the underrepresented to participate in the political process
- Applying field-based research to improve the electoral cycle
Since 1987, IFES has worked in over 145 countries – from developing democracies, to mature democracies.