Gender Research Assistant
Afghanistan Monitoring, Evaluation, and Learning Activity (AMELA)
The purpose of AMELA is to provide monitoring, evaluation, and learning support services/assistance to strengthen the implementation of USAID development programs in Afghanistan, and to build the technical M&E knowledge and skills of USAID/Afghanistan Mission staff and stakeholders. The services provided under AMELA will contribute to supporting USAID/Afghanistan as an effective development organization with strong learning and adaptive management processes.
USAID has tasked AMELA to undertake a mid-term evaluation for one of the Promoting Equity in the National Priority Programs (Promote) activity. The Promote program is USAID’s flagship program in the areas of gender equality and women’s empowerment. In line with the broader Promote objective, the goal of the activity is to increase women’s equality and empowerment in Afghanistan. The activity provides opportunities for women’s rights activists and groups to jointly identify and carry out discrete advocacy and public awareness campaigns designed to influence local, provincial and national public policies banning harmful social practices, as well as to advance women’s welfare and opportunities by specifically building a constituency supportive of women’s rights.
** Only Afghan citizens are eligible for this position **
MSI is currently seeking experienced researchers to assist in the evaluation of Promote’s activity. Under the supervision of the Team Lead and Evaluation Manager the research assistants will play an important part in the evaluation, assisting the team with conducting interviews, focus groups, and other forms of data collection. They will also be expected to perform note-taking as needed, assist in logistical arrangements as needed, and participate in the data analysis.
The researchers will work as part of an assignment team and will generally be needed to play an important role in collecting data, providing contextual and background knowledge during the assignment process, and assisting in the analysis and report writing as necessary. This evaluation will require the ability to travel to areas around Afghanistan (security permitting), and experience working as part of a multi-cultural, and multi-disciplinary team.
Estimated Level of Effort: 90 days
- Assist evaluation managers in designing evaluation tools;
- Translate tools and documents into local languages;
- Undertake key informant interviews and focus group discussions as needed;
- Provide technical analysis, information, and guidance during all phases of the assignment;
- Support the AMELA assignment team and USAID to establish and maintain productive collaborative relationships with partners and stakeholders;
- Facilitate, participate in, and contribute to technical and coordination meetings, workshops, and other events as needed for the evaluation;
- Participate in presentations and dissemination efforts as needed;
- Additional relevant duties as prescribed by AMELA management.
- Ability and willingness to travel in Afghanistan;
- At least four years of relevant experience in Monitoring & Evaluations or Research mainly conducting interviews, focus group discussions, and data collection;
- A bachelor’s degree in development studies, social science, or relevant discipline is required;
- Experience and expertise in various forms of evaluation, qualitative, and quantitative research;
- A record of working on assignments that have delivered high quality reports to USAID and or other donors;
- Experience in social science and research, which may include rigorous mixed-method evaluation;
- Experience working with USAID and/or other international donors is preferred;
- Exceptional written and oral English language skills required.
Only candidates who have been selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone calls, please.
MSI is an EEO/AA/ADA Veterans Employer.
To apply: Please visit our website, www.msiworldwide.com
About the Organization
MSI, a Tetra Tech Company, is a Washington, D.C. metro area international development firm with a 35-year history of delivering development results across the world. Our core expertise is in the fields of monitoring and evaluation (M&E), institutional development, public sector management, governance and anti-corruption. MSI has implemented projects in 90 countries around the world such as Jordan, Kenya, Indonesia, Syria, Pakistan, Afghanistan, Ukraine, Colombia and Mexico. As one of the leading companies in our field, MSI has partnered with organizations across all sectors of international development to support clients ranging from large bilateral and multilateral donors such as USAID, the World Bank and the United Nations Development Program to national and local governments, nongovernmental organizations (NGOs), think tanks, foundations and universities. For more information on MSI, please visit our website at www.msiworldwide.com.