Banyan Global is seeking a Gender Specialist for a long-term position in Afghanistan to support USAID/Afghanistan Irrigation and Watershed Management Program (IWMP). Ideal candidates have a minimum of 8 years experience in both international development and gender integration work and direct experience in Afghanistan. Duties and responsibilities for upcoming positions include:
- Ensure that gender is mainstreamed across the program, including training materials, monitoring, operations, policies and procedures and design activities that target women and girls within the scope of the IWMP;
- Integrate gender into all the stages of program activities to: (1) enhance women’s access to extension and advisory services, with a focus on improving women’s practical knowledge of relevant agriculture processes, and access to new technology and inputs; (2) increase employment and non-farm economic opportunities for women in rural areas; and (3) increase women’s participation in decision-making structures, especially within MAIL and the relevant DAILs, and support women’s groups and gender-inclusive local organizations;
- Facilitate gender trainings with program staff and program stakeholders;
- At program outset, undertake a gender analysis focused on the current state of Afghan government and community agricultural water management to inform program planning and make recommendations regarding future programming that will lead to greater gender integration.
- Review and provide input to project work plans, with attention to gender dimensions of technical activities and operations, and discuss gender issues and priorities with project senior management and other technical specialists;
- Liaise with technical component leaders to ensure that gender considerations are assessed and accounted for;
- Incorporate gender considerations into the Performance Monitoring Plan, with an emphasis on designing indicators that will drive high-value project activities;
- Travel to project locations to manage project staff and oversee technical inputs;
- Maintain active relationships with gender specialists and others in related organizations and programs in Afghanistan;
- Maintain an up-to-date and thorough understanding of gender issues related to water management, agriculture, specific economic development topics (microfinance, trade, value chains, environment, etc).
- Master’s Degree in international development, development economics, international affairs, or some related field, with a focus on gender.
- Eight or more years of experience working in one or more development sub-disciplines (agriculture, community water management, household economic strengthening, livelihoods development, or others);
- Four or more years of experience effectively integrating gender considerations into programming that is not explicitly focused on gender.
- Experience conducting gender analyses.
- Experience designing and facilitating trainings on gender issues and gender integration processes and techniques.
- Strong negotiations and communications skills, and effective report-writing skills.
- Willingness to travel outside Kabul.
- Experience working with complex multi-disciplinary teams.
- An understanding of monitoring and evaluation, including experience with effective gender indicators and data collection considerations.
- Capacity to be original and creative in strategies to integrate gender considerations into non-gender related programming.
Salary commensurate with background and experience. Banyan Global is an equal opportunity employer.
Please apply to the position through our website, http://www.banyanglobal.com/careers.php, and include a cover letter and résumé in your submission. Please no phone calls.