Since 15th of March 2011, following the demonstrations in Dera’a and then in the major cities of Syria, the situation has been worsening. Protesters demand the resignation of President Bashar al-Assad, the overthrow of his government, and an end to nearly five decades of Ba’ath Party rule.
The conflict between the Syrian army and opposition resulted in massive displacements of populations within the country and, into adjacent countries.
International community tries to solve the problem, for the moment however, proposed solutions failed.
In February 2012, MdM decided to launch the exploratory mission in the 3 Syria neighboring countries. Assessment of the humanitarian needs, MdM’s network as well as the local medical partners’ revival and the prepositioning for the intervention inside of Syria as soon as Syrian border will be open for humanitarian aid, were the goals of the mission.
The General coordinator is in charge of designing MdM’s operational strategy in two countries in collaboration with the HQ. S/he is in charge of consolidating the new projects started by the emergency team, and to assess new needs inside or outside of Syria. S/he is responsible for ensuring the delivery of quality programs, donor and government relations, fundraising and budget management, security and operations management, and developing a motivated and professional team.
The General coordinator reports directly to the Desk officer and responsibles of mission; s/he manages the Coordination team: Administrative, Logistic and Medical coordinators.
- Participate in the definition of the general strategy for the Syrian Crisis Program, in the definition of the operational plans, is in charge of the coordination of its implementation, the supervision of the activities in a timely manner and in the respect of MDM ethic, principles and commitments
- Insure a regular communication with the Desk Officer and the teams in Jordan and Lebanon
- In collaboration with the Coordination team, monitor the humanitarian situation and propose new actions or adapt the ongoing projects
- Coordinate negotiations, the drafting of the Memoranda of Understanding and of other agreements with the implementing partners
- Is the general manager of the all staff members
- Define the general organisation of the mission in coordination with the Administrative Coordinator and the Desk officer.
- Ensure security and programs’ briefings and follow up of teams
- Ensure good information flow and maintain proper communication between the different departments
- Support the team in the daily management of the program
- Participate in the regular evaluations of the staff, and if necessary take appropriate measures in link with the Administrative coordinator.
- Recruit, induct on code of ethics and internal regulations
- Manage and motivate the staff
- Support and supervise the coordinators
- Ensure that adequate means are available for the smooth running of the projects
- Undertake pro-active donor prospection and propose alternative sources of funding
- Responsible of the carrying out of the contract of objectives defined with donors and the respect of contractual obligations
- Contribute to the yearly budget framework and its revision and justify the budget consumption
- Coordinate the preparation of the proposals and reports for donors
- Ensure regular interaction, information sharing, and collaboration with other humanitarian actors in the region
- Represent MdM with the local authorities and ensure a regular communication with stakeholders
- Be the spokesperson for MDM with local and international media, in coordination with the Headquarters
- Monitor the security situation in collaboration with the Logistician coordinator
- Analyze and anticipate the security evolutions.
- Inform the Desk officer and the rest of the team on any security incident or dangerous development in the country.
- Define and implement safety rules up to date and guarantee their application by all the team
- Propose and enforce new rules or procedures, in reaction to security incidents or to changes in context, in collaboration with the Logistic Coordinator.
- Manage and report on any security incident affecting MDM staff and assets, if any.
- Ensure smooth flow of internal communication among the various parties involved in missions
- Act as focal point for communication and advocacy activities, in collaboration with the HQ
Conditions of employment:
Duration: 6 months (renewable)
Contract : EMPLOYEE (French contract) - Short term contract
Skills and experience needed:
- Experience in a similar position or extensive experience as Field Coordinator in a tense context
- Experience in supervision and team management
- Experience in outbreak management and emergency response
- Experience in representation with humanitarian actors, authorities and donors
- Experience in hard negotiations with local authorities, partners and staff in a tricky context
- Capacity to work in an volatile security context and able to apply strict security rules
- Capacity to create relationships with the communities
- Ability to have a global overview of a program
- Strong commitment to the organisation and its values
Languages: Fluent English (oral and written) mandatory
French and/or Arabic an asset
About the Organization
Médecins du Monde is an international humanitarian organisation whose mission is : to provide medical care for the most vulnerable populations when they are faced with crisis or exclusion from society, the world over, including France, to stimulate voluntary commitment from doctors, other health care providers, and from those whose expertise in other fields is needed for its activities, to enlist all competent support required for the achievement of its projects, to seek at all times to encourage close working relationships with populations in its care. based on its medical practices totally independent action, Médecins du Monde : identifies potential crises and threats to health and dignity so as to help prevent them, mobilises non medical assistance for solidarity campaigns denounces and bears witness to violations of human rights, especially denial of access to health care, develops new approaches and new practices for public health internationally, based on respect for human dignity, commits itself to a relationship of total transparency with donors, campaigns for establishing humanitarian medical principles based on ethics of accountability.