SUMMARY OF POSITION
CowaterSogema is excited to announce the opening of two Integrated Local Planning and Municipal Water and Sanitation Services Expert positions for the upcoming Decentralisation for Development (D4D) in Zambia. The objective of the project is to improve service delivery and political participation at the local level. The objective of module III is to support national and local authorities as they implement the decentralisation process, especially fiscal decentralisation, in a more efficient, transparent, coordinated, citizen-oriented and pro-poor manner.
The Local Government Finance Expert will be based in Zambia, providing advice and support to the preparation of comprehensive financial statements of local authorities and contributing the effective use of Financial Management System software for budget implementation by local authorities.
The Generation and Administration of Local Government Revenue Expert will be responsible for the following tasks:
- Coordinate and implement the provision of information and strengthening of financial capacities of local government representatives and staff of Southern and North-West-ern Province Municipalities respectively regarding local government financial management, budget planning (planning and budgeting), budget implementation, Local Government Equalisation Fund and other sources of revenue;
- Develop, implement and constantly adapt support strategies to enhance own source revenue of municipalities in Southern and North-Western Province respectively with a special focus on revenue generation through property rates;
- Provide support to all local authorities of Southern and North-Western Province respectively in the use of the Local Government Management Information System for annual planning and budgeting;
- Provide advice and support to revenue base management for all local authorities of Southern and North-Western Province respectively;
- Support councilors to appreciate and critically examine Medium Term Expenditure Framework and Management Reports on receipts and payments;
- Support PLGO Southern and North-Western Province respectively in tracking of the implementation of the MTEF projections through municipal annual plans and budgets; and
- Support PLGOs in the monitoring and reporting on the use of the Local Government Equalisation Fund by local authorities in Southern and North-Western Province respectively.
- Master’s Degree in Local Government Finance, Public Administration, Political Sciences, Planning or any other relevant field.
Minimum of 5-years experience providing advice and support to revenue base management and coordinating and implementing the provision of information and strengthening of financial capacities of local government;
Minimum of 3-years experience in a management role in the area of generation and administration of local government revenue
Regional experience working with local governments in Southern Africa, preferably in Zambia.
- Outstanding verbal and written communication skills (speaking, writing and oral) in English;
- Excellent interpersonal and sociocultural skills;
- Excellent stakeholder management and relationship building skills; and
- Prior training in GiZ’s Capacity WORKS management model or commitment to undergo training by a GIZ-accredited multiplier before the commencement of the project.
Project’s specific conditions:
- This position is based in Zambia (28 person-months).
- Must be a Zambian national.
We thank you for your interest in building a better tomorrow with CowaterSogema.
About the Organization
With more than 30 years of experience, CowaterSogema is Canada’s global leader in management consulting services specializing in international development. We have managed the implementation of over 800 projects in more than 80 countries around the globe for clients such as DFID, DFAT Australia, the World Bank and Global Affairs Canada. We work with governments, partner organizations, communities and civil society to design and implement sustainable solutions that generate lasting social, economic and environmental impacts. Our adaptive approach to management has led to our award-winning work and recognition as one of Canada’s Best Managed Companies in 2017 and 2018.