The International Centre for Insect Physiology and Ecology (ICIPE) needs your expertise to process geodata for models and simulations on the development and spread of pathogens and pests relevant to agriculture. This data is to serve as a basis for application-oriented research and for the development of suitable prevention and treatment measures in Africa. Founded in 1970, the centre is part of the CGIAR Consortium of International Agricultural Research Centers. ICIPE is the only research institute that is researching the role of insects as pests and as beneficial organisms for tropical agriculture, the environment and human health. With its development-oriented agricultural research, ICIPE contributes to improving the living conditions of the rural population in arid regions.
Your tasks will involve:
- Processing geodata and creating models for analysing the risks of pathogen and pest spread, with a view to developing suitable countermeasures
- Interdisciplinary cooperation with development partners for mobile data collection and mathematical modelling for decision-makers
- Providing support in communicating and publishing new research findings in international networks
- Using and evaluating existing project data records to develop new research approaches and project proposals for project acquisition
- Monitoring and training junior scientists in the application of geoinformation systems
- University degree in geoinformatics or another qualification that provides the necessary skills for the job, ideally with a doctorate
- Many years of experience in the subject area, ideally with activities in a scientific environment
- Experience of mentoring junior scientists
- In addition, you have the citizenship of an EU member state
What we offer:
- A varied and interesting job with a high level of responsibility in an international environment
- The opportunity to work with other organisations in the field of development cooperation
- Professional preparatory measures for your assignment abroad
- Placement with a local employer as an integrated expert for an initial period of two years, with an option to extend the contract
Attractive monthly salary top-ups and social security benefits in addition to your local salary Note: This is a current vacancy; there is no application deadline.
Country-specific information is available from a variety of sources, including the German Federal Foreign Office at https://www.auswaertiges-amt.de/de/ReiseUndSicherheit and the country information portal www.liportal.de
About the Organization
The Centre for International Migration and Development (CIM) is the ideal partner for you if you are looking for a responsible position relevant to development policy. We place highly qualified staff with employers in Asia, Africa, Latin America and Europe. You can put your knowledge and skills to use where they are particularly needed. CIM is jointly run by the Deutsche Gesellschaft für Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) GmbH – www.giz.de/en/ – and the German Federal Employment Agency – www.arbeitsagentur.de/en/ – and has been providing a combination of development and labour market policy expertise since 1980.