The Deputy Chief of Party will support the Chief of Party in all aspects of program management, at a strategic level and an operational level. This position will be responsible for oversight of program activities, reporting, monitoring and evaluation, and communications. The Deputy Chief of Party may be required to act as acting Chief of Party from time to time and will also take on delegated Chief of Party responsibilities as required. The Deputy Chief of Party will support the Chief of Party in liaising with USAID on technical matters and in programs management and operations. They will help ensure timely delivery of activities, quality control, and the overall responsiveness of technical assistance.
Note: Hiring will be dependent upon receipt of funding.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES include the following. Other duties may be assigned:
- Oversee the implementation of project activities as designated by the Chief of Party.
- Serve as Acting Chief of Party in the Chief of Party’s absence.
- Work with project staff, consultants and local partners to design and carry out innovative strategies and activities that help coordinate efforts in Georgia to counter disinformation; strengthen the capacity of local actors to put out fact-based messages, and diagnose, track, and respond to disinformation.
- Supervise a team of experienced media trainers and technical consultants to deliver high quality media training, mentoring, and analysis building on Internews’ past experience using similar approaches in other European and Eurasian countries.
- Cultivate relationships with relevant local and international governmental actors, media, partners and agencies and represent Internews and the project before USAID and other donors, government officials, local partners, other implementing organizations, and the public.
- Contribute to the development and revision of project reports, workplans, M&E plans, and communications materials. Provide editorial oversight as necessary.
- Analyze project results and the implementation of successes/failures in consultation with the M&E Manager and other project staff. Develop plans for improvement/ expansion of activities in coordination with Chief of Party and other project staff.
- Work with Internews’ HQ staff and relevant project staff to ensure effective administration of the project and ensure compliance with organizational and donor rules and regulations.
- Participate in new fundraising efforts to support national and regional projects.
- Maintain an up-to-date knowledge of news, trends, and challenges in the Georgian and broader European, Eurasian, and Caucasian media sector.
- Communicate closely with Internews HQ and the Chief of Party to ensure coordination across all activities and compliance with USAID and internal policies and regulations
- Understanding of and demonstrated commitment to upholding Internews’ Core Values.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Proven progressively responsible media development experience, including working with media organizations, media associations, and providing senior program management.
- Bachelor’s degree in relevant field or equivalent standard of education.
- Deep working knowledge of the challenges and opportunities facing media in the Europe and Eurasia region.
- Strong reputation for developing excellent collaborative working relationships with counterparts, international organizations, and donors.
- A successful track record in designing, managing, evaluating, and communicating about donor-funded media and civil society projects and proven ability to develop and monitor work plans, monitoring and evaluation plans, and program reports.
- Demonstrated mentoring abilities and experience supporting senior managerial staff
- Experience with USAID- and/or US government-funded programs required.
- Experience in fundraising and development of innovative program concepts
- Native-level written and spoken English, proficiency in Georgian or Russian preferred.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to work collaboratively with a diverse staff.
About the Organization
Internews works to ensure access to trusted, quality information that empowers people to have a voice in their future and to live healthy, secure, and rewarding lives. We envision a world where everyone can communicate freely with anyone, anywhere, and exchange the news and information they need to shape their communities and the world.
For close to 35 years and in more than 100 countries, we have worked with our local partners to build hundreds of sustainable organizations, strengthened the capacity of thousands of media professionals, human rights activists, and information entrepreneurs, and reached millions of people with quality, local information, improving lives and building lasting change. Our decentralized and entrepreneurial model gives us the local flexibility to find the best solutions and the nimbleness required to work in a rapidly changing, uncertain and complex world. On issues ranging from health and the environment to conflict and governance, Internews has developed approaches that harness the power of media and information to create positive change.