View Req 4079BR : Geographic Information Systems Specialist- Back-Puerto Rico
In September 2017, hurricanes Irma and Maria barreled across Puerto Rico, causing unprecedented damage and leaving up to 780,000 homes damaged, according to Puerto Rican officials. In addition to the destruction, the storms exacerbated longstanding and persistent housing issues and challenges on the island.
Over the next five years, Habitat for Humanity will partner directly with hurricane-affected families to address their shelter needs, as well as work with the Puerto Rican government and local municipalities on policies and systems that will improve shelter, land and resilience issues across the island.Project goals:
. The goal of Habitat for Humanity’s Puerto Rico Recovery Program is to address systemic barriers to achieving household and community resilience in Puerto Rico post hurricanes Irma and Maria. The focus of the program will be capacity building for homeowners and builders; repairs, reconstruction, and new home construction for disaster survivors; a tenure referral system; and assessments, advocacy, green building strategies and economic development supporting each part of the program. Duties and Responsibilities:Informing programs
Data collection and analysis
- Works closely with Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability and Learning lead and program technical leads to ensure most essential data for project management and decision-making is collected on a schedule that best informs programming
- Presents analysis in a clear format that can enable informed decision-making by program staff
Knowledge and Skills
- Manage data collection and train data entry personnel on appropriate protocols in the field
- Oversee reconstruction data collection by field teams and ensure data quality (ground truthing)
- Ad-hoc map production and other data visualization on an as-needed basis
- Web based project management system’s bug reporting, configuring the projects’ components (maps, tables and charts) and also work on its improvement
- Install and manage tools/equipment for data collection and map production in the field (phones, tablets, GPS devices, laptops, printers)
- Ensure data protection
- Respect confidentiality of data collected and on file
- Other related duties as assigned by supervisor.
- Understands program life cycle and how data collection informs program design and delivery
- Background in statistics or data science
- Knowledge of SPSS, SAS and/or R
- Degree in Epidemiology or Public Health a plus
About the Organization
Habitat for Humanity International is a non-profit, ecumenical Christian housing ministry. The purpose and goal of Habitat for Humanity International is to eliminate poverty housing and homelessness from the world, and to make decent shelter a matter of conscience and action. Habitat invites people of all backgrounds, races and religions to build houses in partnership with families in need. Habitat for Humanity has an Administrative Headquarters based in Atlanta, an Operational Headquarters based in Americus, Georgia, and Area Office bases of operations in Manila, Philippines for our Asia and Pacific work, San Jose, Costa Rica for our Latin American and Caribbean work and Bratislava, Slovakia for our Europe, the Middle East and Africa work.
HFHI is an equal opportunity employer and seeks to employ and assign the best qualified personnel for all our positions in a manner that does not unlawfully discriminate against any person because of race, color, religion, gender, marital status, age, national origin, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, veteran/reserve national guard status, or any other status or characteristic protected by law.