Tetra Tech International Development Services (http://www.tetratech.com/intdev), headquartered in Arlington, Virginia, is currently accepting expressions of interest for a
GIS Specialist to join its Technologies for Development Unit. The GIS Specialist will provide expertise for international development projects and work to promote innovative approaches to geospatial solutions for projects and new business efforts. Candidates should be adaptable to a variety of technologies, experienced in geospatial solution design and implementation, and an enthusiastic advocate for new technologies. The Technologies for Development Unit works at headquarters and in the field to support new business efforts, research and develop appropriate technological solutions for project implementation, support projects in the field, and provide training and staff capacity building.
Candidates should be capable of working around the world under challenging conditions. This position is based in Burlington, Vermont or Arlington, Virginia.
* Provide technical expertise on spatial data collection, map series creation, compilation of available geospatial data sets, web mapping, spatial analysis, data visualization and remote sensing;
* Monitor trends and test tools in the geospatial marketplace for customization and adoption;
* Collaborate with project staff on short- and medium-term technical assignments in the Home Office and in the field;
* Support new business efforts to incorporate technological solutions and innovative approaches into new business products;
* Develop and deliver trainings on geospatial aspects of technology and innovation for Home Office staff;
* Represent the interests of the Technology for Development Unit internally, within Tetra Tech’s International Development Services group, and with clients; and
* Other complementary and necessary duties as assigned by the Unit Director.
* Advanced degree in GIS, remote sensing, geography, or other related field preferred, a Bachelor’s degree is required;
* Experience in GIS consulting, program development, and implementation with international field experience required;
* High proficiency in Esri software, proficiency in QGIS or alternate open source GIS; experience with image processing software packages preferred;
* Experience using mobile data collection applications for mapping purposes;
* Experience in web cartography across multiple web mapping platforms, and experience with other non-spatial database systems;
* Experience training non-specialist staff on the uses of mobile data collection, GPS, GIS, and RS in support of project objectives;
* Knowledge of international development projects, particularly USAID-funded initiatives;
* Speaking, reading and writing proficiency in at least one foreign language preferred;
* Availability for frequent overseas travel on short- and medium-term assignments with as much as 40% international travel to developing countries; and
* U.S. citizenship or a valid U.S. work permit is mandatory.
To be considered applicants must submit the following as part of the online application process:
* A letter of application explaining individual qualifications for this opportunity
* A current CV in reverse chronological format
* A writing sample of a technical nature no more than 10 pages in length in which the applicant is the sole author.
* A brief cartographic portfolio (3 to 5 examples).
Please ensure that all necessary documents are uploaded, as incomplete applications and/or corrupt files may delay processing of your application or remove you from consideration. Applications that do not meet the minimum requirements listed above will not be considered.
Tetra Tech offers a full range of benefits. Please follow this link to learn more: http://www.tetratech.com/en/benefits
Tetra Tech is a leading provider of high-end consulting and engineering services for projects worldwide. With more than 20,000 associates working together, Tetra Tech provides clear solutions to complex problems in water, environment, infrastructure, resource management, energy, and international development. Tetra Tech combines the resources of a global, multibillion dollar company with local, client-focused delivery in over 400 locations around the world. We offer competitive compensation and benefits and are searching for innovative people to join our teams. We are Leading with Science® to provide sustainable and resilient solutions for our clients. We are an equal opportunity employer: EOE AA/M/F/Vets/Disability.