Role & Responsibilities
To consolidate the Global Cash Adviser role in GSO, to work in close collaboration with specifically CVA (Cash & Voucher Assistance) focused staff as well as across the organisation to enable necessary CVA advice and support is provided to all country programmes and Global-ERT, both for the field and GSO. To take a leading role in implementing Medair’s Innovation strategy and provide increased capacity for coordination of humanitarian innovation across Medair’s programming.
Working as an important member of a diverse team who are committed to serve the world’s most vulnerable with practical and compassionate care, the Global Cash & Humanitarian Innovation Adviser will support increasing the efficient and effective operations of Medair’s work.
Workplace & Conditions
Medair Global Support Office, Lausanne, Switzerland, with up to 4 weeks field visits.
- Swiss or eligible EU citizens, or those with a valid work permit for Switzerland, can apply.
- For more senior / technical roles, some other nationalities may be eligible to apply.
Starting Date / Initial Contract Details
May 2019. Full time, open-ended contract.
Key Activity Areas
Cash - Technical strategic effectiveness
- Support and give directions to Medair’s existing and emerging cash-based programming, including identifying technical expertise and ways of working.
- Capacity build colleagues with advice including mentoring, accompaniment, induction and briefing.
- Provide organisational strategic guidance in cash programming expertise, niche and effectiveness.
- Continuously develop personal technical expertise.
- Enable Medair to become more effective at cash programming funding including internal fund allocation and external fundraising and by working in consortia and private sector.
Cash - Technical Learning & Quality improvement
- Build an evidence-base of good practice, including through writing or capturing case studies & recommending, undertaking or commissioning evaluations, cost benefit analyses.
- Relational mentoring of a network of colleagues to build a community supporting cash based programming to jointly capture case studies of good practice.
- Participate in and sharing learning with other relevant communities of practice.
- In collaboration with Medair’s Sector Advisors, embed Medair’s quality standards within cash based programming and take ownership of any Quality Standard directly relating to this technical specialism.
- Monitor and disseminate learning from external practice.
Cash - Representation & Communication
- Maintain a corporate overview of technical practice across the country programme teams in order to communicate good practice internally and externally.
- Represent Medair in CaLP and the Global Cash Working Group (Geneva).
- Develop and lead a strategy on innovation for Medair globally.
- Advise and leverage the technical innovative aspects of Medair projects, which will include Satellite imagery, UAVs, Impact Apps for Smart Phones etc.
- Provide a coordination role to cover the implications of such innovations across all departments.
- Develop new relationships with donors that may support innovation within Medair’s portfolio.
- Develop guidance for staff to identify opportunities for innovation and funding to support it.
- Monitor and evaluate the benefits of new programme-related technology adopted by particular country programmes and ensure that the benefits can be shared with other countries.
- Further develop and monitor metrics for innovation activities from a country and project perspective.
- Provide timely advice to field staff, and fundraising focused HQ staff on innovation aspects of assigned projects at all key stages of the project management cycle.
- Improve coherence between innovation projects across Medair country programmes.
- Maintain and strengthen regular communication and exchange of information between HQ and Field innovation-related staff.
- Continue to be informed and inform each other of current best practice/ research/ academic and innovation issues, techniques, and equipment to inform and improve programming.
- Develop training plans for basic cash knowledge e.g. CaLP levels I and II, Disaster Ready, ICRC but also developing internal training / self-learning course material.
Team Spiritual Life
- Reflect the values of Medair with staff, beneficiaries, and external contacts.
- Work and pray together in our Christian faith-based team settings. Fully contribute to the rich spiritual life of your team, including team devotions, prayers, and words of encouragement.
- Encouraged to join and contribute to Medair’s international prayer network.
This job description covers the main tasks that are anticipated. Other tasks may be assigned as necessary.
- University degree. Masters degree in humanitarian-related field desirable.
- Strong working knowledge of English (spoken and written). French and Arabic is desirable.
Experience / Competencies
- Three years professional experience at management level with at least six months working on humanitarian cash programming and six months on ‘innovation’ in a fragile State.
- Experience in project design and monitoring; and evaluation of humanitarian projects.
- Experience of designing and implementing CTP related projects.
- Knowledge and understanding of humanitarian and donor standards related to CTP.
- Experience in designing market assessments, accountability and beneficiary feedback systems.
- Demonstrated ability to work across institutional boundaries and teams in an effective way.
- Training and coaching skills. Excellent communication skills. Strategic, problem solver, dynamic, mature.
- Creative, open-minded, flexible, self-learner, self-motivated, energetic, hard-working, servant-hearted.
Before you apply
Please ensure you are fully aware of the:
- Medair organisational values.
- Profiles sought and Benefits Package for Global Support Office Staff.
- go to our Current Vacancies page
- and apply for this vacancy (or another position that matches your profile).
Please do not make multiple applications. We will not review email applications. Only English-language applications / CVs will be reviewed.
About the Organization
Medair is a humanitarian organisation inspired by Christian faith to relieve human suffering in some of the world’s most remote and devastated places. We bring relief and recovery to people in crisis, regardless of race, creed or nationality. As signatories of the Red Cross Code of Conduct, we believe that aid should be given to everyone who is in need, regardless of political, social or religious viewpoint. We save lives in emergencies and then stay to help people recover from crisis with dignity—working side by side with communities to leave a lasting impact. We provide a range of emergency relief and recovery services: health care and nutrition; safe water, sanitation, and hygiene; shelter and infrastructure.