CRS’ 2030 Strategic Platform 3 (SP3) Landscapes and Livelihoods seeks to scale the restoration of degraded land to increase resilience and adaptation to climate change by rural farm families. Our goal is to catalyze the adoption of people-centered land restoration focused on managing soil and water to restore ecosystem services and support sustainable livelihoods. CRS will contribute to scaling by incorporating four restoration models across our own programming, and by serving as a catalyst to energize uptake of restoration by partners, peers, governments and multi-stakeholder platforms, reaching one million farmers by 2030.
As Global Director (COP I), you will provide leadership and overall management of Strategic Platform 3, Landscapes and Livelihoods. Your leadership, management and technical knowledge will ensure the successful start-up and implementation of this Strategic Platform. You will lead implementation of SP3 in five target countries – Lesotho, Ethiopia, Guatemala, El Salvador and Madagascar. You will build a community of practice to innovate models, share evidence and strengthen agency capacity in restoration. You will collaborate closely with the Senior Technical Advisors (STAs) for Policy and Climate Change on the global restoration strategy, learning agenda and development of multi-stakeholder partnerships.
Primary areas of focus are:
* Provide technical assistance to country programs to refine and implement models and track progress;
* Build CRS country program understanding and capacity in scaling restoration concepts, approaches;
* Develop and implement effective government and multi-stakeholder platform engagement strategies; and
Roles and Key Responsibilities:
* Lead all aspects of the technical support and training for model refinement, develop and/or adapt tools for restoration and government engagement
* Provide technical assistance to Country Programs to understand the policy environment and dynamics of degradation, map key stakeholders and identify entry points to dialogue with government
* Guide Country Coordinators in the development and implementation of core strategies
* Launch and lead a restoration community of practice with three Country Coordinators (El Salvador/Guatemala, Lesotho and Ethiopia)
* Contribute to refinement and application of restoration metrics, working closely with program and monitoring/evaluation teams
* Propose platform budget investments and manage overall platform budget
* Represent CRS and platform to donors and multi-stakeholder groups; participate in key restoration fora – AFR100, Global Landscapes Forum,
* Support resource mobilization, including through proposal preparation/review and donor positioning
* Master’s degree in Natural Resource Management (NRM), agroecology, sustainable agriculture or related field.
* 7 or more years’ relevant management and technical experience.
* 5 years’ experience managing donor funds, including multi country grants. Strong knowledge and experience in budget management.
* 5 years of staff management experience and abilities that are conducive to a learning environment. Experience coaching senior program staff.
* PhD preferred.
* Six years direct experience living or working overseas
* Experience working with host country governments, including strong understanding of approaches to policy reform and advocacy
* Experience with people-centered approaches to restoration, community mobilization and capacity building for both communities and local partners
* Proven track record of excellent relationship-building skills, including the ability to work effectively and with sensitivity, particularly in cross-cultural settings
* Documented track record in successful proposal development and resource mobilization
* Ability to travel internationally and domestically
CRS is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Catholic Relief Services carries out the commitment of the Bishops of the United States to assist the poor and vulnerable overseas. Our Catholic identity is at the heart of our mission and operations. We welcome as a part of our staff and as partners people of all faiths and secular traditions who share our values and our commitment to serving those in need.