Job DescriptionBackground Information - Job-specific
The United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS) is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Mandated as a central resource of the United Nations, UNOPS provides sustainable project management, procurement and infrastructure services to a wide range of governments, donors and United Nations organizations.
UNOPS portfolio delivery is operationalised via:
- Africa Region (AFR)
- Asia Region (AR)
- Europe & Central Asia Region (ECR)
- Latin America & Caribbean Region (LCR)
- Middle East Region (MR)
- New York Service Cluster (NYSC)
Following a recent restructuring, a position of Director of Regional Portfolios (D-RPO) has been created, to provide strategic leadership and oversight across the UNOPS regions and the corporate Partnership and Liaison Group.
As the Management & Oversight Senior Advisor, you will provide substantive advice and support the D-RPO in effective leadership, coordination and oversight of the regional portfolios.
You will work very closely with the Regional Directors, the relevant HQ units and the Regional Management & Oversight Advisors, who are based in various locations. You will also collaborate with other internal senior stakeholders such as policy makers.
Your focus will be on achieving operational excellence, minimizing risks and ensuring alignment and cohesion. This position will require strong communication, leadership, partnership building and advocacy skills.
Your responsibilities will include:
Providing strategic advice to the D-RPO, with particular focus on financial stewardship, operational excellence, effective and productive workforce management and delivery of results across the regions;
Providing advice to the D-RPO related to organisational and portfolio performance improvement and knowledge sharing across the portfolio;
Coordinating improvement and knowledge sharing initiatives and overseeing their implementation;
Coordinating and monitoring of implementation progress for the strategic corporate initiatives across the regions;
Supporting the Regional Directors and Regional M&O Advisors, working closely with the relevant HQ units and senior stakeholders.
For a more detailed description of the position and its functional responsibilities please read the attached PDF file.
- An Advanced University Degree (Master’s or equivalent) in Business Administration, Finance, Political Science, International Relations, International Development, Social Sciences or a related discipline is required;
- A First-Level University Degree (Bachelor’s) in combination with 2 additional years of relevant professional experience may be accepted in lieu of the advanced university degree.
- Minimum of 10 years of experience in management and advisory/coordination roles;
- Demonstrated experience working in project and programme management, international development, post-disaster and/or emergency contexts;
- In-depth knowledge of development issues and current donor and sectoral trends;
- Field work experience in at least two UNOPS regions ( Field work experience is required);
- Proven ability to collaborate with and oversee diverse and senior teams;
- Experience in an international organizations is an asset;
- PRINCE2® Foundation Certification or equivalent is desirable. PRINCE2 Practitioner Certification or equivalent is an asset.
Contract type, level and duration
- Excellent writing and oral skills in English;
- Working knowledge of Arabic, French or Spanish is an asset.
- Contract type: ICA
- Contract level: I-ICA 3
- Contract duration: Open-ended, subject to organizational requirements, availability of funds and satisfactory performance
For more details about the ICA contractual modality, please follow this link:https://www.unops.org/english/Opportunities/job-opportunities/what-we-offer/Pages/Individual-Contractor-Agreements.aspx
Background Information - UNOPS
UNOPS is an operational arm of the United Nations, supporting the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to help people build better lives and countries achieve sustainable development.
UNOPS areas of expertise cover infrastructure, procurement, project management, financial management and human resources.
Working with us
UNOPS offers short- and long-term work opportunities in diverse and challenging environments across the globe. We are looking for creative, results-focused professionals with skills in a range of disciplines.
With over 4,000 UNOPS personnel and approximately 7,000 personnel recruited on behalf of UNOPS partners spread across 80 countries, our workforce represents a wide range of nationalities and cultures. We promote a balanced, diverse workforce — a strength that helps us better understand and address our partners’ needs, and continually strive to improve our gender balance through initiatives and policies that encourage recruitment of qualified female candidates.
Work life harmonization
UNOPS values its people and recognizes the importance of balancing professional and personal demands.
About the Organization
UNOPS supports the successful implementation of its partners’ peacebuilding, humanitarian and development projects around the world. Our mission is to serve people in need by expanding the ability of the United Nations, governments and other partners to manage projects, infrastructure and procurement in a sustainable and efficient manner.
Working in some of the world’s most challenging environments, our vision is to advance sustainable implementation practices, always satisfying or surpassing our partners’ expectations.
With over 7,000 personnel spread across 80 countries, UNOPS offers its partners the logistical, technical and management knowledge they need, wherever they need it.
A flexible structure and global reach means that we can quickly respond to our partners' needs, while offering the benefits of economies of scale.