VSO is the world’s leading international development organisation that works through volunteers to fight poverty. Working in 24 countries around the world, our unique role in international development is to place committed volunteers with carefully selected organisations where their skills can have the greatest impact. Our extraordinary volunteers live and work in some of the world’s poorest communities. Sharing their unique skills and experience to generate new ideas and new ways of doing things, helping the communities they work in lift themselves out of poverty. We’re not about delivering quick fixes, but instead we focus on long-lasting, sustainable change, that will impact generations to come. Join us and help us work towards our vision of a world without poverty.
We are looking for an experienced Global Media Manager to lead media communications at VSO, providing leadership to the global media team, manage media relations in crisis situations and engage with the media to positively position VSO’s mission. You’ll have detailed knowledge, and experience of working with, the UK media market.
You will have significant experience of developing and implementing media strategies for a similar development organisation, charity or international organisation.
You will be responsible for timely reputation management, and working closely with senior managers, stakeholders outside of VSO, and a network of press, online and broadcast contacts to grow that reputation.
The role will also involve leading on a range of media campaigns across multi-disciplinary teams to influence public perception and attract potential partners.
Skills, qualifications and experience
* Significant experience of crisis and reputation management
* Experience of leading, networking and influencing effectively within a dispersed organisation and of advising senior staff
* Significant proven experience in people management, performance management and supporting the learning and development of individuals.
* Understanding of International development policy, the institutional aid environment and specifically UKAID
* Experience of using media to influence key opinion formers.
* Good understanding of media strategies and have up to date knowledge of media trends and tools
* Educated to degree level or equivalent
Competencies and Behaviour
At VSO we believe progress is only possible by working together.
Whether you want to join us as an employee, or as a volunteer working in your own country, overseas or online, our selection process includes an assessment based on these core competencies:
* Ability to be open minded and respectful
* Ability to be resilient and adaptive to new situations
* Ability to facilitate positive change and build sustainable working relationships
* Ability to seek and share knowledge
* VSO promotes equal opportunities and values a diverse workforce.
* VSO reserves the right to close this job early if we receive a sufficient number of applications.
Unfortunately we are unable to provide sponsorship for this position, so please ensure you have the right to work in the UK before you apply.
If you’re interested in applying for this role, please download the job description for more information.
To submit your application, click on ‘Make an application’ and complete all relevant fields on the online application form.
MAKE AN APPLICATION
Location(s): England - Surrey - Kingston upon Thames