About the Role
Adam Smith International operates in over twenty countries across several continents through an organisation structure comprising a global leadership, geographically defined teams responsible for both project delivery and operational platforms, technical teams responsible for technical inputs and delivery, and core functions of Finance, Legal & Compliance, HR, IT & Cyber Security and Audit based in London. ASI has to consequently manage diverse political, legal, financial, security, health, and technical risks on a daily basis. ASI does so by developing a suite of global policies and standards, applying them to individual countries through tailored procedures and capabilities, and reporting on their effectiveness to its Executive Team. ASI is committed to setting standards that meet the expectations of its staff, consultants, partners and donors for market-leading professionalism.
In this context, the role has two overarching purposes:
- To support the Executive Director for Regional Operations and Regional Team Leaders in ensuring effective communication between ASI’s London-based leadership and core functions, and the company’s overseas operational platforms so that those platforms have a full and accurate understanding of global policies and standards concerning duty of care, logistics and procurement, that policies are tailored to local contexts effectively and applied consistently, and that the Executive Team can readily access a comprehensive and up to date picture of the capabilities and performance of operational platforms across the company enabling them to assess the aggregate risk facing ASI and intelligently prioritise actions and resources to mitigate those risks.
- To directly oversee duty of care for staff and consultants travelling to locations not currently overseen by ASI’s regional teams by working with staff to develop and implement effective Duty of Care solutions that meet the company’s global policies and standards.
Key tasks include:
- Ensuring ASI’s global policies for Duty of Care, logistics, procurement and other operational functions are comprehensive, clear and fit for purpose, through dialogue with technical, security and operational colleagues.
- Overseeing the application of those policies abroad and maintaining a comprehensive mapping of the capabilities and performance of ASI’s operational platforms to enable effective company-wide risk management and Duty of Care.
- Supporting continuous improvement of the effectiveness and efficiency of operational platforms through learning lessons, leveraging technology, and facilitating dialogue between ASI’s central functions and regional teams.
- Ensuring all operational policies and procedures (Duty of Care, safeguarding, logistics, procurement) are communicated effectively to, and fully understood by, all staff and consultants and continuously gathering feedback from them.
- Supporting staff to plan and carry out travel to countries not currently overseen by ASI’s regional teams, including assessing risks, developing solutions, researching costs, and monitoring during travel.
- Contributes to business development by advising colleagues on the operational requirements of future projects, their integration into ASI’s existing platforms or solutions for establishing new platforms.
- Managing ASI’s contracts with external suppliers of HEAT training, travel tracking, emergency hotlines and other Duty of Care services.
- Acting as secretariat to ASI’s London-based Crisis Management Team to ensure clarity and effectiveness of its roles, procedures and interaction with regional teams and central functions.
As the Global Operations & Security Manager you should have proven abilities to build effective relationships with people from a wide range of professional and cultural backgrounds, and to work effectively in politically sensitive and challenging environments. You should relish working in a team, should be innovative, energetic, positive, and genuinely committed to achieving lasting change. Adam Smith International seeks the following skills and experience:
- Experience of designing and delivering operations and security support overseas to development or humanitarian projects, including in conflict-affected countries;
- Experience of facilitating change within decentralised organisations that operate in multiple locations by refining and strengthening global policies and standards and overseeing their tailoring to local contexts;
- Strong interpersonal skills to build and maintain relationships with managers and subject matter experts in the field;
- Experience of risk analysis and management in high-risk contexts and/or commercial enterprises;
- A professional security background is beneficial but not required if sufficient experience of security operations overseas can be demonstrated.
- Knowledge of DFID, FCO, USAID, EU, and UN regulations is advantageous;
- Demonstrated experience of initiative, self-organisation and an ability to develop solutions that enable rather than inhibit the delivery of projects in challenging contexts.
What We Offer You
We offer you a dynamic and friendly team environment and the opportunity to work on a highly successful portfolio of programmes. We have a strong commitment to our people and strive to live by our principles:
- Take responsibility (Accountability): Individually and collectively accountable for what we do.
- Always find a way (Resourcefulness): We think innovatively to reach a solution.
- Promote Quality (Excellence): We maintain and promote professional standards in everything we do.
- Commit to the Outcome (Achievement): We take pride in delivering our best to achieve results
We’ve built a culture to reflect our principles, full of likeminded professionals who are smart, passionate and great at what they do. We offer a highly competitive compensation package and excellent benefits.
Heard Enough? Ready to Apply?
We would love to hear from you. Please submit a CV (no more than 3 pages) and short cover letter to http://www.adamsmithinternational.com/join-us/permanent-positions/ with a subject line of “Global Operations & Security Manager”. You must be eligible to work in the UK to apply for this position.
Deadline for applications is Friday July 20th.
Shortlisted applicants only will be contacted.
Thank you for your interest.