Job Title/Grade: Global Sector Specialist II, Senior Global Sector Specialist I/II, Principal Global Sector Specialist, Environment (9-12)
Department: Technical Services
Reports to: Environment Sector Vice President (or delegate)
Date: April 1, 2019
Function of the Position:
The Global Sector Specialist (GSS) will support the Environment Sector in Technical Services. The GSS will be responsible for supporting the Environment Sector, including leading and supporting new business efforts, developing technical solutions, knowledge management, and product development, with a primary objective of demonstrating DAI’s thought and technical leadership and increasing sales and marketing. The GSS will serve as an in-house technical specialist across the organization and will augment his/her capabilities through a professional network of external technical experts and strategic partners to provide technical support to DAI globally. Under the leadership of the Sector Vice President for Environment, this position is responsible for delivering superior technical support on projects and proposals in the USG and International Business Unit, growing DAI’s market share for development services within the sector, and building a network that connects DAI projects, staff, and clients. The GSS will collaborate with other specialists across Technical Services to create a competitive advantage in delivering technical services to DAI’s donor, government, and corporate clients.
Roles and Responsibilities:
Time will be allocated across these three responsibilities according to corporate need and personal capabilities; in 2019 the priority will be placed on business development and growth.
Business Development and Growth
- Collaborates with the DAI’s Regional Delivery/Project Management Teams, Business Development, and other business units, to identify technical trends and capabilities which guide annual new business plans and technical requirements for proposal support; participates in setting bidding priorities, in consultation with DAI Europe, USG Delivery, and Business Development.
- Supports the development of a multi-year, multi-client plan to expand DAI’s work in the Sector’s technical areas, focusing on products and services that address the needs of clients in local, national, regional, and international locations.
- Prepares for, leads and/or supports new business efforts including responding to specific Requests for Proposals (RFPs), particularly in the Sector for which the GSS is responsible. The GSS will also directly support the Sector Vice President in their efforts to submit winning proposals to DAI’s main clients in a range of capacities. Responsible for lead writing multiple proposals and supporting or contributing to 2-3 proposals over the course of a calendar year.
- Responsible for building and growing strategic client relationships, especially with USAID and DFID but also with other implementing and donor organizations.
- Markets the Sector’s services and portfolio, specifically but also DAI as a whole. Contributes to the marketing of DAI’s thought leadership specifically, building recognition of DAI’s capabilities, experiences, and results/impacts, by positioning DAI’s brand of quality and value.
- Supports the Sector to develop and maintain a new business pipeline; identifies and develops a network of consultants (especially local consultants) that can provide surge capacity for the sector. The GSS will work with the broader Technical Services team to promote synergies on business development between practices and sectors.
- Participates in the technical leadership and services provided by the Sector to projects, new business endeavors and other internally and externally facing initiatives.
- Supports Sector engagement with COPs and project teams to identify, adapt, and refine technologies, tools, solutions and approaches that advance the project’s goals. These solutions may be both technical or operational.
- Supports projects as requested by USG Delivery to ensure a high standard of technical excellence in delivery of results according to client expectations. Actively participates across practices and regions to integrate with other core DAI competencies.
- Participates in cross-sector, cross-practice and cross-business unit initiatives that foster and build DAI’s technical leadership or advance process improvements across teams.
- Responsible for leading activities, efforts, and research relevant for the sector. Develops integrated technical solutions that leverage technical skills and capabilities within and across sectors and in other DAI business units. Promotes and supports technical staff to widely disseminate DAI’s development solutions through multiple venues, including social media, professional conferences, video, and public speaking engagements.
- Undertakes short-term technical assignments providing expertise to DAI Bethesda and DAI Europe field projects including training, high quality technical reports, assessments, recommendations and other deliverables as requested.
Knowledge Management and Project Support and Coordination
- In concert with the Sector Vice President, the GSS will be responsible for enhancing DAI’s brand to our main clients, DFID and USAID. The GSS will produce content for the DAI website, internal and external publications including blogs, articles, reports, videos, presentations and other multi-media forms, and internal business development resources from DAI’s work in the technical area to enhance proposal quality.
- Supports the development and dissemination of DAI’s thought leadership with the aim of building and advancing DAI’s technical reputation and competitive position through participation in conferences, events and seminars, and social media.
- Works closely with Delivery, Strategy and Marketing, and other business units to capture technical achievements, lessons learned, and best practices to build on and advance DAI’s reputation as a thought leader in this technical area.
Additional responsibilities as deemed necessary.
- Grade 9: Minimum of 7 years relevant professional work experience and a bachelor’s degree, or 5 years relevant professional work experience and a master’s degree
- Grade 10: Minimum of 9 years of relevant professional experience and a bachelor’s degree; or 7 years of relevant professional experience and a master’s degree;
- Grade 11: Minimum of 11 years of relevant professional experience and a bachelor’s degree; or 9 years of relevant professional experience and a master’s degree;
- Grade 12: Minimum of 13 years of relevant professional experience and a bachelor’s degree; or 11 years of relevant professional experience and a master’s degree;
- Demonstrated experience supporting leading, designing, and/or evaluating projects that contribute to the Environment sector.
- Ability to take on both leadership and support roles in the development of plans, proposals and in carrying out work.
- Excellent writing skills and demonstrated experience writing strong technical proposals for USAID or other international donor clients. Has the ability to work effectively across technical areas, to develop technical approaches that integrate or leverage resources in different parts of the company.
- Ability to travel to all of the countries in which DAI has projects for proposal reconnaissance and the provision of technical support to projects, barring times DAI Security has deemed travel unsafe. Travel requirement can be up to 33% of the time.
- Possesses technical knowledge and skills as evidenced by project results, publications, reports, proposals, and/or public presentations
Equivalent combination of education and experience will be considered.
Strongly Preferred Qualifications
- Demonstrated ability to work with and lead teams for winning new business and delivering excellent results to clients.
- Demonstrated, related new business success with DAI’s primary client base- USAID and DFID.
- Fluency in an additional language besides English, especially Spanish or French preferred.
Supervisory Requirements: None.
DAI is an equal opportunity/affirmative action employer with a commitment to diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, or national origin. EOE - Minorities/Females/Disabled/Veterans
About the Organization
DAI is an international development companywith corporate offices in the United States, the United Kingdom, Belgium, and Nigeria, and project operations worldwide. We tackle fundamental social and economic development problems caused by inefficient markets, ineffective governance, and instability. Named one of the world’s top 40 international development innovators, DAI has delivered transformational development results in more than 150 countries for clients including development agencies, international lending institutions, private corporations and philanthropies, and national governments.