The Local Health System Sustainability (LHSS) Project is a USAID-funded 5-year, $209 million global task order that works to strengthen health systems as a means to achieve universal health coverage and improve population health and well-being. Interventions will focus on reducing financial barriers, holding health services accountable for meeting all clients’ needs and making sure that the care patients receive meets minimum standards. USAID’s LHSS Vietnam activity will focus on improving health financing for HIV and TB prevention and control, strengthening supply chain systems, and supporting the expansion of the Social Health Insurance (SHI) scheme to improve the provision of quality care and treatment at a national scale. The project will work collaboratively at the national level with the Government of Vietnam (GVN), particularly the Ministry of Health and the Vietnam Social Security (VSS) to support GVN efforts to increase sustainable domestic financing for health, including TB and HIV, ensure quality of HIV care, and to seek efficiencies in health spending and procurement and supply chain management.
The Policy and Governance Lead will provide strategic leadership, management, and technical direction and support to the project team and counterparts in the implementation of activities including supporting the GVN to develop and implement policies/mechanisms to sustainably manage a holistic HIV and TB program. The position will lead policy development and implementation efforts, to insure institutionalization of policy and regulatory reforms. The Policy and Governance Lead will report to the COP.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Work closely with GVN counterparts and provide technical assistance to develop and implement guidelines, policy briefs, and best practices to improve HIV and TB health provision
- Contribute to develop project deliverables, such as workplans, quarterly reports, etc.
- Represent the project at meetings with USAID, GVN, and other stakeholders
- Provide managerial and technical support to the Chief of Party, assisting in areas including work planning, performance management, and strategic communications
- Collaboratively create and implement a strategic, long-term programmatic vision
- Serve as the project’s key liaison with USAID, government counterparts, and local partners/stakeholders
- Establish and maintain close working relationships, partnerships, and coordination with the USAID Mission, MOH, MOF, USAID-funded partners, and other stakeholders and partners, including non-USG donors
- Attend internal and joint or bilateral meetings with partners and national collaborators in to further the implementation and sustainability of LHSS activities and other USAID-funded initiatives
- Provide support for the synthesis and dissemination of results from LHSS Vietnam
- Provide support to COP in ensuring compliance with the policy and legislative requirements of USAID as stipulated
- Masters Degree (minimum), or a Doctorate (desirable), in Public Health, Business Administration, Finance, or other relevant field
- At least 8-10 years of relevant professional experience with a Masters Degree, or 6-8 years with a PhD
- Proven experience working with Government of Vietnam and Ministry of Health strongly desirable
- Knowledge of Social Health Insurance (SHI) issues and key stakeholders in Vietnam, including experience with MOH and VSS highly desirable
- Demonstrated ability to work effectively with government counterparts and coordinate various actors such as different Ministry of Health units, Vietnam Social Security other ministries and government agencies, donors and NGOs
- Proven professional knowledge of MS Office applications and appropriate organizational skills
- Fluent in Vietnamese with excellent oral and written communication skills in English
- (8+) years of experience and a master degree OR the equivalent combination of education and experience
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a global leader in research, evaluation and program implementation; driving innovation and measurable impact for more than 50 years. What sets us apart is our evidence-based and multi-disciplinary approach to solving tough challenges in health, social and environmental policy and international development.
Specific areas we work in include:
- Education and workforce development
- Climate change and the environment
- Food security and agriculture
- Housing and communities
- Survey and data collection
Abt is a mission-driven company with a staff of 2,600. Our focus is on using evidence and cutting-edge methods to improve the lives and economic well-being of people worldwide.