EnCompass seeks Governance Specialist consultant candidates for an anticipated United States Agency for International Development (USAID) Feed the Future Accelerated Value Chain Development (FTF-AVCD) Evaluation activity. The FTF-AVCD activity, implemented in 20 Kenyan counties, is a World Bank buy-in Public International Organization (PIO) field-support Grant to a consortium of Consultative Group on International Agricultural Research (CGIAR) Centers led by the International Livestock Research Institute (ILRI). The other members of the consortium include International Crops for Research Institute for Semi-Arid Tropics (ICRISAT) and the International Potato Center (CIP).
The FTF-AVCD Evaluation will provide USAID/Kenya with an endline evaluation of the FTF-AVCD activity. The evaluation will assess the activity design and implementation in order to inform the design of future activities, provide learning on innovative approaches, and capture lessons learned.
The Governance Specialist will provide expertise in governance program evaluation. Such duties may include developing/reviewing data collection tools, data collection, analysis and report writing. S/he will evaluate governance subcomponents of each of the value chains.
The position will be for a 3-month period and will be based in Kenya with anticipated 1.5 – 2 weeks of travel throughout the country.
Position Duties and Responsibilities
- Serve as project point-of-contact/lead for the integration of governance considerations into all evaluation development, data collection, and analysis
- Evaluation of the governance subcomponents of each of the value chain components
- Engage fully as a member of the EnCompass staff team, including participating in staff meetings and other EnCompass events, and providing administrative support to other team members as needed
- Other duties as assigned
- Minimum of a master’s degree in a related field
Experience and Skills
- Minimum of ten (10) years’ experience in managing governance projects
- Demonstrated experience in governance and policy with preference for work on USG-funded activities
- Knowledge of value chain development and market systems, nutrition, private sector, governance, rangeland management, livestock production
- Demonstrated experience applying a variety of participatory and strengths-based learning design and delivery approaches, blended learning and evidence-based learning theory desirable but not required
- Ability to work with host-country governments at different levels
- Substantial experience in managing a team using mixed research methods of similar magnitude
- Working knowledge of and experience with USG-funded program management, policies, regulations and procedures
- Understanding of gender norms and social constraints in the East African and Kenya context required
- Understanding of Kenya government and policy systems, including national and county government
- Strong familiarity with USAID CLA practices, M&E design and principles, USAID ADS 201 operational policy on evaluation and the USAID Evaluation Toolkit.
- Prior experience in Africa, specifically Kenya, and familiarity with USAID/Kenya Mission; local / regional candidates prioritized
- Proficiency in English required; proficiency in a local language(s) an asset
- Ability to travel within Kenya
About the Organization
EnCompass is a women-owned business offering innovative and customized solutions for leadership, capacity strengthening, technical assistance, and monitoring and evaluation. We have experience in more than 70 countries and a team of more than 100 staff and 1,200 experts around the globe.
We partner with government and multilateral agencies, nonprofit organizations, and corporations around the world, offering thought leadership, rich diversity, and technical expertise in global health, inclusive development, education, human rights, and food security.