Global Communities is seeking an experienced consultant who will serve as a liaison for the CVCFG to key national, provincial and local government counterparts that are critical program success. The Government and Partnerships consultant will also serve as a key liaison for the project will key private sector actors based in DRC who are interested in purchasing/exporting artisanal gold.
This is a temporary position based in Goma, Democratic Republic of the Congo. This position will report to the Chief of Party or his/her designee (e.g. Acting Chief of Party).
Note: This position is not a guarantee of permanent employment with the project
The Government and Partnerships Liaison will lead key advocacy and government capacity activities of CVCFG, as well as support engagement of local buyers of ASM gold to support program objectives. Specific responsibilities include:
* Work in close collaboration with the program Chief of Party and Cooperative Strengthening and Empowerment Experts to accomplish key CVCFG start up activity goals, objectives and targets;
* Serve as a key representative for CVCFG to national, provincial and local government agencies
* Serve as the temporary legal representative for Global Communities for purposes of registration
* Support the implementation of a baseline Political Economy Analysis (PEA) in collaboration with selected PEA consultant.
* Use an applied Political Economy Analysis approach to support start up activity decision making and reporting requirements.
* Work with key ASM gold buyers and/or local exporters and private sector partners to obtain necessary information/provide necessary information to support start up activity reporting requirements.
* A weekly activity summary (via email) that outlines planned activities for the week.
* A monthly report that summarizes key local private sector partnership activities, as well as outlines the local and national political landscape that may affect program start up activities and future implementation design to be submitted to Chief of Party by the 15th of each month.
* Schedule key meetings required to carry out Political Economy Baseline Assessment.
* Attend and summarize key takeaways from meetings with government (local and national) as needed to support CVCFG start up and future implementation activities.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
* Ability to communicate effectively and develop relationships with communities and government officials;
* Basic understanding of the challenges and opportunities for small medium enterprises who wish to access regional and international markets.
* Knowledge of precious minerals trade-related policies and activities a plus.
* Ability to provide capacity building and lead training on business strategy and business planning best practices, feasibility studies, and cooperative governance and membership roles and responsibilities.
* Bachelor’s degree with 7 - 10 years of experience or a master’s degree with 5- 8 years of experience. At least 5 years of work experience in or with local and/or national government within the DRC.
* Excellent interpersonal skills;
* Fluency in written and spoken French and Swahili.
* Proficient in written and spoken English.
About the Organization
The mission of Global Communities (formerly CHF International) is to create long-lasting, positive and community-led change that improves the lives and livelihoods of vulnerable people across the globe.
In December 2018, Global Communities and its multi-national consortium of partners were recently awarded the $12 million USAID/DRC-funded Commercially Viable, Conflict-Free Gold (CVCFG) program (2018-2023), to develop and deliver a program to establish a sustainable, conflict-free, artisanal and small-scale mining (ASM) gold supply-chain originating in Eastern Democratic Republic of Congo (DRC). Through this program, we will identify scalable models for successfully linking ASM cooperatives, traders and responsible gold exporters to key international markets.
The three primary objectives of the program include:
* Increasing demand for, and co-investment in conflict-free traceable ASM gold from Eastern DRC (Objective 1)
* Increasing exports of traceable ASM gold from Eastern DRC (Objective 2)
* Improving governance and business operations of ASM gold Cooperatives (Objective 3)