The Serbia Government Accountability Initiative (GAI) is a is a four-year USAID initiative. The overall objective of the GAI project is to strengthen the capacities and connections of key Serbian stakeholders to increase government accountability at the national and local levels. The project is divided into three components. Under Component 1, GAI will support efforts to increase the inclusiveness of public decision making regarding public resource allocations and to encourage and incentivize local governments to operate in a more transparent and responsive manner. Under Component 2, GAI will provide assistance to oversight institutions, in particular to the Anti-corruption Agency (ACA) and the State Audit Institution (SAI), to strengthen monitoring of government performance and public officials, and exercise mandates as defined per relevant legislation. Finally, under Component 3, GAI will provide assistance to specialized anticorruption court units and help establish a system for the collection of unified statistics on corruption, distinguishing clearly between different types of criminal offences, the length of cases, and outcome of the proceedings.
The Government Oversight Technical Specialist will support Component 2 through research, activity design, technical recommendations, and analysis. he/she must be familiar with the key local government stakeholders and understand the dynamics and relationships among them as well as the political economy issues affecting these areas. He/she will:
- Under the supervision of the Component 2 Team Leader, work closely with local governments, civil society counterparts, and national oversight institutions to identify areas where GAI assistance can best contribute to improved government oversight;
- Assist in the development and implementation of interventions that address the priority issues for Component 2;
- Work closely with relevant authorities (primarily local governments) to facilitate development and implementation of Local Anti-Corruption Action Plans and other good governance measures;
- Assist in the preparation and review of Component 2 technical documents and deliverables, including quarterly reports and assessments;
- Other duties assigned by the Component 2 Team Leader or his/her designee.
- Completion of secondary school required, university degree preferred;
- Technical background in Government Oversight;
- Excellent command of the Serbian language (written and spoken);
- Excellent analytical and writing skills and able to communicate effectively on the technical aspects of government oversight;
- Proficient working ability in English;
- Good command of Microsoft Office™ tools.
- 3-5 years of progressively responsible experience - experience working with oversight institutions or on a donor-funded program preferred.
The Government Oversight Technical Specialist will report to the Component 2 Team Leader.
About the Organization
Checchi and Company Consulting, Inc. (Checchi) has worked in international development for more than 40 years. Since its inception, the company has implemented nearly 300 long-term contracts in more than 130 countries. Checchi’s principal areas of specialization include strengthening the rule of law, anticorruption, and monitoring and evaluation (M&E). Since launching one of the first international rule of law practices in the late 1980s, Checchi has provided technical assistance and training in such areas as improving access to justice; institutional strengthening, including court administration; legislative and policy reform; judicial training and legal education; security sector reform; and strengthening civil society. The company also has implemented a number of long- and short-term activities focused on anticorruption. In addition, many of Checchi’s rule of law projects have included significant anticorruption components. Checchi’s M&E work spans the spectrum of quantitative, qualitative and mixed approaches to managing and evaluating performance.