The grant specialists, working with the Vice President of Finance and Administration, is responsible for overseeing the financial, contractual, accounting, and regulatory administration of federal, state and private grants; ensure that program staff accomplish their approved program initiatives and that AFF meets all compliance and reporting requirements.
This position will oversee, coordinate, and track financial, accounting, contractual and regulatory compliance of various grants. In this role, you will manage all the fundamentals of grant compliance for state, federal and local regulatory bodies. You will manage and build budgets, track actual to budget variances, and perform grant forecasts. You will manage, coordinate and negotiate high-sensitive contracts with government entities, no cost extensions, amendments, etc. Also, you will manage, track, and ensure compliance for subgrants and subcontracts. You will track and monitor compliance for match commitments. You will put together and coordinate with teams financial and programmatic grant reports. You will evaluate current processes, best practices, and make recommendations for changes to AFF’s policies and practices. Leading and implementing key changes and process improvements that will help us expand the scale of our work. This is a full-time position and will report to the VP, Finance & Administration, but will work extensively with AFF’s program staff and managers.
The primary functions of this position include, but are not limited to the following:
- Ensure compliance with the rules and regulations required by the grantor; oversee special audits conducted by grantor.
- Assist in evaluating the fiscal administration of grant programs.
- Administer grant awards to final close-out, including appeals, amendments, grant agreements and reporting requirements.
- Maintain grant records, including copies of reports filed, materials used for proposals, and various grant documents.
- Oversee the timely and accurate preparation of reports for foundation and government grant makers and ensure compliance with grant guidelines.
- Help program staff track expenses and program activities in order to meet grant requirements.
- Work closely with the Vice President of Finance and Administration to ensure that grant documentation meets legal and audit requirements.
- Communicate with program staff to make sure that relevant information regarding sub-grants, sub-contracts, changes in program budgets and other financial information is appropriately communicated throughout the organization and documented for funders.
- Assist the external auditors in their annual audit as it relates to grants.
- Perform day to day financial tasks
- Other duties as assigned
Essential Education, Experience, Skills, and Competencies:
· Bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with at least 3 years of work experience in a related field required.
· Experience managing federal and/or state grants and contracts
· Demonstrated ability to successfully implement grant and contract initiatives
· Experience managing grant budgets
· Proven budget building abilities
· Proven grant writing abilities
· Experience maintaining grant and program records to comply with federal regulations and grant maker requirements
· Ability to coordinate multiple staff to compile, review, and submit grant applications, reports and other documents in a timely fashion
· Demonstrated knowledge of OMB Uniform Administrative requirements, cost principles, and audit requirements for federal awards.
· Experience monitoring subgrants, subcontracts
· Experience drafting contracts, processing amendments, no cost extensions.
· Experience monitoring match commitments
· Strong MS Excel knowledge.
· Excellent auditing skills
· Strong attention to detail
· Demonstrated ability to collaborate with program staff on grant related matters
· Both personable and flexible with the ability to work under pressure and adapt based on what is learned through experience
· A sound work ethic with the ability to act both independently and as part of a team
· Strong initiative; a self-starter with tenacity, resilience, and high energy
· Ability to thrive in a collaborative environment
· Strong interpersonal skills with the ability to interact with a wide variety of constituencies, including co-workers, business and community leaders, partners, donors, board members, volunteers, public officials, and the public at large, in a wide variety of settings
· A client service orientation
· Excellent organizational skills with attention to detail and the ability to effectively plan and problem solve
· Results-oriented with a keen understanding of the steps necessary to achieve goals on deadline and within budget
· Ability to maintain strict confidentiality and display discretion, integrity, and tact when dealing with sensitive issues
· Time management skills, with the ability to prioritize, coordinate and manage multiple priorities
What’s Attractive to the Right Candidate?
· You will work with all levels of the organization.
- Your contributions and leadership will be appreciated. Our staff is passionate, dedicated, and good at what they do and will be deeply appreciative of your efforts to create and preserve an environment that is both fun and fair.
- We offer a flexible work environment that respects your life outside of work.
- AFF is financially sound
- AFF offers a comprehensive and very competitive benefits package
The ideal candidate can be based in our Washington, DC national headquarters or home-based anywhere in the US with the ability to work remote. Salary is commensurate with experience.
We are committed to creating a diverse work environment and proud to be an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, gender identity or expression, sexual orientation, national origin, genetics, disability, age, veteran status, or any other basis protected by law.
Application Deadline: August 13, 2020
For more information on the American Forest Foundation, please submit your resume and cover letter at www.forestfoundation.org. Applicants are encouraged to apply prior to the deadline as interviews will be conducted as resumes are received. A candidate could be selected prior to the deadline. For more information on the American Forest Foundation, please visit www.forestfoundation.org. To apply, please follow links.