Abt Associates seeks a qualified Grants Director for the anticipated USAID-funded Health Financing Activity based in Indonesia. The activity aims to improve the efficiency, equity, predictability and sustainability of Government of Indonesia (GOI) financing for health by building capacity within government and academic centers to analyze and design financing reforms. This Activity will use the financing lever to improve service delivery outcomes for USAID priority areas of HIV, MNH, and TB.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Oversee the design, implementation, and reporting of the project’s grants program.
- Work with technical and administrative teams on the project to ensure that grants program is integrated with other parts of the program.
- Proactively provide capacity building and institutional development support to institutions in Indonesia on grants management.
- Regularly meet with counterparts, grant beneficiaries, and home office management on a regular basis on administrative and grant management issues.
Preferred Skills / Prerequisites
- 10 years of professional experience and a minimum education of Bachelor’s degree in business administration, economics, international development, or related field – OR;
- Master’s degree plus 7 years of experience – OR; the equivalent combination of education and experience.
- Previous and recent experience serving as a Grants Director (Minimum portfolio: $10M);
- 5 years of experience managing grants, including design, management, and implementation of donor-funded public health and health financing programs in developing countries, preferably in Indonesia, and managing staff (local nationals and/or expats).
- Strong interpersonal and team-building skills with significant experience building strong host country national teams.
- Proven ability to work with a wide range of local organizations and national stakeholders.
- Understanding of USAID and USG regulations in regards to grants preferred, or applicable international donor experience.
- Experience collaborating with key players in Indonesia, specifically, the Ministry of Health.
- Language fluency in English required. Bahasa Indonesia preferred.
- Prior work experience in Indonesia highly desired.
Position is contingent upon award.
About the Organization
Abt Associates is a mission-driven, global leader in research and program implementation in the fields of health, social and environmental policy, and international development. Founded in Cambridge, Massachusetts in 1965, Abt Associates was built on the concept that sound information and empirical analysis are the best foundations for effective decision making. The firm blends the subject matter expertise of our staff with technical capabilities in applied research, program implementation, and data collection to shape policy, strengthen systems, measure performance, and deliver other solutions to our public and private sector clients. Examples of Abt Associates’ work include nationally recognized research, evaluation, and technical assistance to improve the efficiency of healthcare systems, the effectiveness of government housing programs, the production of food, and the measurement of public opinion. Abt’s staff of more than 2000 includes national and international experts who are known for their understanding of communities and governments worldwide, innovative research techniques, and insightful—and often groundbreaking—analyses and recommendations. Approximately 51 percent of our staff has graduate degrees; one in six has a doctorate. Our staff’s educational and professional disciplines include economics, engineering, environmental analysis, epidemiology, food security, health, housing, international development, psychology, social science, statistics, and survey methodology. Abt’s research staff is experienced with prominent statistical software packages, including SPSS, SAS, and STATA, along with qualitative software such as NVIVO and Atlas. In 2011, Abt Associates was ranked among the top 20 global research firms and one of the top 40 development innovators. Abt has offices in Atlanta, Ga.; Rockville, Md.; Cambridge, Mass.; Chicago, Ill.; Durham, N.C.; and New York City and program offices in nearly 40 countries in Africa, Central and Southeast Asia, Latin America and the Caribbean, and the Middle East and North Africa. www.abtassociates.com